View Single Post

Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvistico View Post
In my opionion, Jon should adress the matter and being open about it. If he'd share his situation with the fans everyone would understand and perhaps have more respect for the bad vocal performances. With that known, anyone can still decide if they'd be cool about it and buy tickets for shows that you'll know will be heavily based on recent song that are easy to sing, shorter setlists and plain bad singing in general. It is just about being honest about it and setting and accepting new standards, both for Jon and the fans.

Up till know, Jon has been acting like nothing's going on and selling the ' we are better than ever + we are not a nostalgia act who's relying on their greatest hits ' story. That's BS if I can say so.

Compare it to Def Leppard's drummer - that guy has one arm and adapted his playing around this. He can't do what other drummers do but he doesn't pretend to either and so everyone loves what he's doing.

Or I am thinking about Prince, back in the 90'ies when he was in a big fight with Warner ( his label): he refused to play his hits any longer and so all fans new that he'd only play recent stuff. With that in mind, those shows were often excellent.

It is all a matter of being clear about what people can expect and for fans to go to shows with the right expectations.

End of my rant
Even if it'd be an honest move - and people like Paul Stanley or Klaus Meine (and probably more) had done so openly in the past, I can see why PR people advised him not to do that. I mean in the eyes of his defend-everything fans that'd make him an even more humble and great human being. But for them, even him losing his bowels up there would do that.

If he'd openly announce tours with only recent stuff, it'd tank really bad. Keep in mind that 80% of the crowd are still made up by casuals and out of them, the latest they may know could be Make A Memory or Born To Follow and that's been over a decade ago. Bon Jovi has drawn audiences in because of their big, pompous, soaring ballads and due to their fist-pumping, anthemic rock songs with big choruses. Since about HAND, we pretty much had none of that. For middle-of-the-road pop songs, the average Joe won't buy tickets, especially not at these prices.