View Single Post

Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I would assume the others got raises when Richie left too, yeah. These numbers are always questionable. I THINK Tico has been divorced twice? Is that right?

Memphis did VERY well, I'd attribute most of the gap to that.
From what I could find online, it looks like Tico's been divorced 3 times: 1985 from Sharon, 1998 from Eva, and 2007 from Maria Alejandra. But on another thread, someone said that Tico got divorced in 2012, so I don't know if the info I found was incorrect or if there was a 4th divorce.

According to Playbill, Memphis grossed $104,453,830 before it closed on Broadway in August, 2012. The Dramatists Guild requires that writers are guaranteed a minimum of 15.56% of the profits before recoupment until the play starts showing a profit, and then it's upped to 17.78% of the profits. That amount is split among the composer, lyricist, and librettist/book writer. Since David was composer/lyricist and DiPietro was book writer/lyricist, I would imagine that (at least) those amounts were split evenly between them. But even with them taking it to London after the Broadway run, plus the licensing for touring shows, TV broadcasts, the movie, and soundtrack, I still don't see how that would have made a dent in a $100 million dollar difference between David and Tico.

I did see contradictory information about Tico's net worth from various reports. Most of them had $20m; a few had $40m as far back as 2012, up through one that was supposedly updated in 2019. But some of the same sites showed David's net worth at $85m, as of early 2017, which would have been well after Memphis closed, and in 2019 it was $120m.