Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

My Bon Jovi funk - What's the real problem?

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Just posting

Default My Bon Jovi funk - What's the real problem?

So, I've been thinking about this the past week or so. Initially, when the announcement of the Because We Can tour and new album came out, I was excited as I always am about new Bon Jovi material and seeing them in concert. But after a few days, seeing some of these recent live performances, the recent event at the cinema....I don't know. I'm just not feeling it at all.

Now, these "warm-up" shows are just that. But let's face it. Jon has sounded like crap for many of the shows for quite some time. Even if his voice has been passable, it's not good. Songs that I love so much (Prayer, Wanted, Bad Name), can't hold a candle to how they sounded in the 80's or 90's. Or maybe it's Jon's demeanor on stage. He used to run that stage like it was a marathon, now he barely moves from 1 spot. Or is it Richie, and his less than stellar playing? Is it the fact that Jon still brings Bobby along because he's a friend, when all he does is take away from the show with his awful solos? Is it the awful acting and choreography during WFTWM on the last tour? Is it the cost of the tickets? Or, is it the simple reason that I go to the US shows, and I'm just bored with the same old set list after so many years?

I haven't been upset with the new music since 2000. Certainly, each album had it's share of filler. I actually thought Have A Nice Day was a great record. But the new record, I'm not excited at all about. Jon has been saying the same thing about every album since 2000, and though some of the records are decent, as I said, the amount of filler is just too much. There was nothing that stood out on either Lost Highway or The Circle as something that I can't wait to hear live again.

Or maybe it's just the routine. It's the same tour schedule, the same arenas, the same stadiums, the same set lists, the same lack of energy from Jon and Richie. Or maybe it's just me. Maybe I've grown out of the band. I never thought that would be possible, but it's something I have to consider. Whatever it is, what this band once meant to me, it doesn't anymore, and that's upsetting. I just hope that something lights a fire under their ass, this album brings me back to life, and this tour offers us something exciting that has been lacking for far too many years. But if it doesn't.......

Old 12-03-2012, 04:42 PM
The Distance

Time to change your tampon.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Just posting

Thierry, seriously, from one person to another, you're a prime example of why so many Bon Jovi fans ignore this page. Backstage has a bunch of ass-kissing Bon Jovi can do no-wrong psychopaths on it. And this page, has assclowns like you that don't let anybody say shit without you being a first class, Grade A douche about it.

Now, if any adults would like to have an open discussion, please, let's do so.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Blaze of Posting

Oh come on. Bon Jovi are dead. I mean, what band goes on for 30 years and is still releasing quality new material that is actually mainstream? I tell you - NO ONE! It's either nostalgia - which Bon Jovi are becoming - or you play great new music but only target your niche market. Take Europe's latest record for example. Kick ass album. Could they ever sell out an arena with that? Never! Bon Jovi have chosen the please 'em all route, which means it will be tough to get a decent record from them. At least there are individual songs which still sound good.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Just posting

I don't really care about new material being "mainstream". I could honestly care less if I ever heard another Bon Jovi song on the radio. It's a dead form of communication as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't mean they can't release something that rocks my ass off. Unless, as you said, Jon is simply satisfied just to appeal to the masses.

I have "friends" in the US that go ga-ga every time the band comes to town. They've seen them as many times as I have. I just don't get the excitement. The shows are so repetitive and stale lately. Maybe I've just overdone it with them.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfan View Post
I don't really care about new material being "mainstream". I could honestly care less if I ever heard another Bon Jovi song on the radio. It's a dead form of communication as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't mean they can't release something that rocks my ass off. Unless, as you said, Jon is simply satisfied just to appeal to the masses.

I have "friends" in the US that go ga-ga every time the band comes to town. They've seen them as many times as I have. I just don't get the excitement. The shows are so repetitive and stale lately. Maybe I've just overdone it with them.
I've had the feeling since 2006 pretty much. Sine WHO SAYS and I LOVE THIS TOWN and all that junk have become regular songs, I simply can't enjoy a Bon Jovi gig anymore. That and the fact that I can't relate to Jon at all means that I am on this forum for nostalgia reasons. Once upon a time...wasn't too long ago
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfan View Post
Thierry, seriously, from one person to another, you're a prime example of why so many Bon Jovi fans ignore this page. Backstage has a bunch of ass-kissing Bon Jovi can do no-wrong psychopaths on it. And this page, has assclowns like you that don't let anybody say shit without you being a first class, Grade A douche about it.

Now, if any adults would like to have an open discussion, please, let's do so.
I agree, Thierry is a dick.

Now, from one civilized person to another; I've been sort of saying this back in the days when you were just a newbie here. I remember quite well how upset you were when those words were coming out of my mouth, yet now you're saying the same things. Are you a late bloomer or was I ahead of my time?

I still enjoy the concerts, but there's no way I'd travel to other cities for them would I not be able to attach a small holiday in that city as well. And would Bon Jovi do concerts similar to the American shows there's just no way I'd still travel for them period, no matter what holiday I can attach to it. I honestly don't understand Americans driving 150 miles to see a show of which they know beforehand will be average compared to what the band offers in other continents. It's as if they enjoy to get punished by the band, and I don't really understand that fetish.

You nowadays just know beforehand which concerts will be better than others and where Jon will be willing to give that little bit of extra. And that little bit of extra is not in America, not even New Jersey. So yeah, I can understand what you're saying. The standard in America is a lot lower than Europe, a mediocre show here is considered a great show over there so if you no longer enjoy the great shows over there all you're left with is the shows Jon only does for the money he's making there.

So seriously, why bother going anyway? It's not like you have to. I've stopped listening to Bon Jovi as well once I realized they weren't worth my time and money anymore. I no longer buy the studio albums, don't buy the singles and buy tickets through scalpers. You save a lot of money that way, which you can then spend on other artists. There's plenty of other music to enjoy and worth traveling for. I've seen Clapton and Slash in other countries and had a blast and enjoyed it way more than I enjoyed Bon Jovi in ****ing Gelsenkirchen. With so much out there, why focus on just one band?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Just posting

I don't know Seb - You still seem to be attending an awful lot of shows.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Lost Highway is one of the best record they ever made. About all this music since 90s, they writing music in context of their ages. About setlist, they always try to change setlist every show. Yes, they are different, for me Bon Jovi ends since 1996, but i still love this band, coz i can understand new music, most of us want to old Bon Jovi, but look at the fact, they are get older. Today i'm watched some videos from last tour, during performance of Always, Jon just stands before the mic, not moving, i don't like it, ye, but like i said, they get older, but i still hope for the new great music (from the Circle album i like only WWBTF and ST). I'm listening rignt now my favourite bootleg from These Days tour, live @ Enschede 1996, and this makes me happy, and excited for the new stuff and tour.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Having been a fan for the last 22 years I can honestly say I'm never disinterested in what they do, yet I'm not a Backstage sycophant. But how people can't see good music in songs like Love's The Only Rule, Thorn In My Side, Whole Lot Of Leaving (though live it sucks a the energy out of a show) is beyond me. That's just naming a few. Hell, I actually now think Lost Highway is a decent track, it's grown on me over time.

But I don't and never have any expectations for an album or a show. I take it in that very moment, track by track, set by set. And every album and every show still have their moments of magic...considering that I've been a fan so long and listened to them so much and saw them so many times...that's actually a pretty incredible feat.

So I can't help you, dan. I've never felt that way. I don't think I ever will.

If I was I'd just go and listen to Keep The Faith and I'm pretty sure all would be right with the world again.

Here's the thing; Bon Jovi are not going to tour or release albums forever. Gutted as I'll be, we're probably in the last decade or so as them as a complete entity. I'm going to enjoy every last second of this ride for as long as it lasts.

Last edited by crashed; 12-03-2012 at 06:25 PM..