View Single Post

Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 PM
The Distance

Update...

Finished up to and including Crush... You almost forget how great they once were until you listen to these live recordings...

Faith and These Days... Never mind how you feel about these albums, the live performances are fricking insane... It's not perfect... It's close but there are some cracks and missed notes here and there but the range, screams, passion, and delivery is crazy... This is what you put on if you want to enjoy great music and this is Rock N Roll. Unlike the live music we currently get today, where you have to close your eyes and hold your breath, this music is pure bliss... I'm happy with a lot of the bootlegs I have from both tours but I just wish I had more of the other album tracks... I'd love to hear If That's What It Takes, Hearts Breakin Even, among many others during Jon's prime... I'm just thankful for the beautiful bootleg we have of If I Was Your Mother.

Destination Anywhere... I still struggle with this one... For starters, I'm not a big fan of this album because it's too doctored up with studio effects. ie the drum machines... so when some of that is stripped away live, I tend to enjoy those versions much more... There are some songs that I really learned to enjoy because of the live versions like It's Just Me and Naked but others that never really came to life like Every Word Was A Piece Of My Heart... That's my favorite track on the album but I have never heard a live version that I truly enjoyed... Maybe if Jon did this song with Bon Jovi the band and not The Big Dogs, it might be somewhat better. I guess I'll never know... However overall, very enjoyable live album tracks...

Crush... Jon still has some great chops here... Maybe not as crazy as his Faith and These Days prime but he still pulls out a lot of surprises... I think because of Crush the album starting that Post 2000 trend, fans tend to lump his vocals into that dominated opinion of decline but in reality, Jon still had power and it comes through on a lot of these performances... Again, forget how you feel about the album, but listen to a live version of The Next 100 Years for example and you'll remember how great a band they really were back then... Or how Jon's vocals radiate the end of Say It Isn't So or turn an okay studio track like Thank You For Loving Me into an amazing live song (Toronto 2000)... Unfortunately, songs like Just Older & Captain Crash dominate the sets now a days an make you forget about all the other great live performances back then... Even Capt Crash had a different feel compared to what it morphed into today but you could pretty much say that about any song from WAN down...

Last edited by Rdkopper; 07-18-2017 at 04:30 AM..