View Single Post

Old 07-29-2017, 04:24 PM
The Distance

With the other "Live Soundboard thread" diverting my music listening for the past week or so, I lost track of this but now I'm back on it...

I left off at Crush and I'm up to Lost Highway (a few songs in).

Bounce:
Although I have a love / hate relationship with Bounce, this is the one album where I could say that the live version don't enhance my listening pleasure... It's all kinda the same for me with a lot of songs and I could even say that I would rather hear the studio versions with most songs... Everyday, Bounce, Misunderstood, are better on the album... Joey and Right Side Of Wrong are equally painful either way... I don't have good boots of the few love songs. You Had Me From Hello is from the abandoned Strum As You Are version and Open All Night is from 2010 which is one of my weakest sounding boot on this entire collection... Go figure because this is the one song that I actually really enjoy more that the album version so if anyone has some suggestions on decent sounding boots, please let me know... Finally, I'll take the heavier songs over the album versions. The Distance, Hook Me Up, and Undivided but it's still a small margin... Overall, not a bad listen... It's just that, how I feel about the album is exactly how I feel about the live versions...

TLFR:
I really want to be able to enjoy this album... Even if it's just a mood album / listen... I definitely appreciate these songs more in a live setting... There are actually some songs that I like... I don't mind hearing Wanted with the Zeppelin guitar... I like Bad Name, Bad Medicine, IML, and with that girl not partaking on the live version of Prayer, I could deal with that one too... As a matter of fact, if a live version of just the above got released as an EP, I might actually call this a brilliant move... Once you get to BOR, LYHOM, Everyday, Etc, it all goes wrong... It's like they came up with a bunch of shit to finish an album... The reconditions are horrible, Jon's voice is creditworthy on LYHOM, and BOR is basically the same version with the passion stripped from it... It's clearly the note dodge version... I guess this truly is a Love / Hate live album too...

Box Set:
This is a nice redemption after the above... I'm not going to put too much pressure on these songs because of the one time performance... Although I actually always thought that historically, Jon sounds best on his songs when he first performs them. It's like he gets lazy and takes vocal shortcuts after the fact... Overall, they picked the best songs considering Jon's voice at the time. We are only talking about a handful of songs here but overall I like what I hear... I also included Rich Man from the acoustic performance he did a couple of years back.

HAND:
I really appreciate this album live... I have a lot of great sounding boots that completes this album for me. I enjoyed it so much that I might listen to most of it again. My biggest complaint with this album is, every song kinda blends together... This is one of the problems with Shanks... When you hear them live, they take on more power and Jon sounds great on these tracks... I always said that this is the last period of Jon's youthful, less staged, passionate rock-star days...

Lost Highway:
I'm about halfway through it. I got lazy and just used the Chicago show from the DVD... This takes of the same fate with me as does Destination Anywhere... They take on a more of a rock feel live which is more enjoyable... Kudos to Jon for playing the entire album live and sounding pretty darn close on most tracks... This is my least favorite album however Memory is my favorite post 2000 track... Jon owned this song live and this was one of their last hits (minor) in America... If I'm going to listen to Lost Highway, it's going to be the live versions... Any Other Day is a stand out live track for me along with a couple others... I still don't rank it high but at the same time, I don't mind it either...

Last edited by Rdkopper; 07-29-2017 at 04:28 PM..