View Single Post

Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

New Jersey came out a little over a week after I had turned 17 and at a time when my BJ fandom was at its peak. I anxiously waited for the record to come out and I couldn't help but have very high expectations for it. And boy, did it deliver! Even now, with more than 500 records in my collection and BJ not getting a lot of plays anymore, I'd venture to guess that it's the record I've listened to most during my lifetime. The thing is, I still get an urge to spin it every now and then - I never grew tired of it which is kind of amazing. The complete realization of an 80s rock album if you ask me; utterly listenable from start to end and it even has a bit of an epic, cinematic feel to it, the way the tracks follow each other. I always regarded Love For Sale as the perfect, cheeky ending!

These Days I heard for the first time in 2002, well over ten years after my fangirl phase had withered and eventually died. The internet rekindled my interest in the band and so TD ended up in my collection eventually. It wasn't love at first listen, but I did end up loving the record a whole lot over time. I absolutely regard it as a classic now and it's right up there with NJ as far as my favourite Bon Jovi records go.

But...ya know...the memories associated with 'Jersey' will always be more vivid, dear and precious. Just thinking of the time NJ came out makes me smile... As brilliant as TD is, there's really only one choice for me.