Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Official Youtube.com Thread

General BJ Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #13991  
Old 01-14-2022, 06:20 PM
Javier's Avatar
Javier Javier is offline
Senior Member
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 22 Aug 2002
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: male
Posts: 9,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I'd have to dig out the podcast he talks about it all, from what I recall he was more or less told to not do stuff that draws attention away from the band? I'd have to look up the date but this feels like it was a handful of shows into his filling in so I kind of get it but at the same time, that cheer it got was pretty cool.
He did it twice, the first time it was because of muscle memory as it was something he used to do all the time while in his solo band and Rob zombie's and Tommy Lee's bands. The second time was in memphis when a few of the fans and crew were telling him to do it and Jon was on stage during it and he was apparently told by Jon "that was great, don't do that again" Don't know what podcast it was but I remember it vividly because I found it both understandable and weird that something like that would matter at the same time....
Reply With Quote
  #13992  
Old 01-14-2022, 06:36 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 37
Gender: male
Posts: 12,746
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
He did it twice, the first time it was because of muscle memory as it was something he used to do all the time while in his solo band and Rob zombie's and Tommy Lee's bands. The second time was in memphis when a few of the fans and crew were telling him to do it and Jon was on stage during it and he was apparently told by Jon "that was great, don't do that again" Don't know what podcast it was but I remember it vividly because I found it both understandable and weird that something like that would matter at the same time....
THANK YOU! I remember him saying Jon was on stage for it but he clearly was not for this one, didn't realize it happened again. This must be it at 4:20ish.


Man, what a cool way to shake up the song.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #13993  
Old 01-14-2022, 08:31 PM
Javier's Avatar
Javier Javier is offline
Senior Member
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 22 Aug 2002
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: male
Posts: 9,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
THANK YOU! I remember him saying Jon was on stage for it but he clearly was not for this one, didn't realize it happened again. This must be it at 4:20ish.

Bon Jovi - LAY YOUR HANDS ON ME - Memphis, TN - 5-19-2011 - YouTube

Man, what a cool way to shake up the song.
That's that second time!! It's funny because after Phil did it you can see Jon shaking his head with a kind of cringy face
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13994  
Old 01-14-2022, 10:11 PM
Thinny's Avatar
Thinny Thinny is offline
Senior Member
Posting Always
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2013
Location: Leicester
Gender: male
Posts: 2,231
Thumbs down

That's ridiculous - Phil is there to entertain the audience and that's exactly what he was doing. Take attention away from the band? What is that supposed to mean? Sometimes I just don't get Jon. Surely he wants the whole band to put on a show? Bizarre...
__________________
Thinny
https://www.last.fm/user/Thinny
Reply With Quote
  #13995  
Old 01-14-2022, 10:22 PM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Geek
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 6,586
Default

Jon's cracking 'cause all the attention is now focussed on him and once other bad members do something entertaining, they get restricted. No surprise that it feels like corporate gigs of bank employees who get together after work these days.

I mean it's not like Phil ran out into the arena and bursted into a 10-minute solo improvisation
__________________
Check out what's becoming the biggest Bon Jovi touring website: https://bjtours.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
  #13996  
Old 01-14-2022, 10:41 PM
Javier's Avatar
Javier Javier is offline
Senior Member
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 22 Aug 2002
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: male
Posts: 9,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Jon's cracking 'cause all the attention is now focussed on him and once other bad members do something entertaining, they get restricted. No surprise that it feels like corporate gigs of bank employees who get together after work these days.

I mean it's not like Phil ran out into the arena and bursted into a 10-minute solo improvisation
Well, remember these shows at the time were in 2011 when Phil was just subbing for Richie on that limited run of dates from april till may. You don't want a substitute guitar player to suddenly try and outshine your real player, not in skill or showmanship. If he were to do that today, I don't think there would be a problem....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13997  
Old 01-15-2022, 01:43 AM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 37
Gender: male
Posts: 12,746
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
Well, remember these shows at the time were in 2011 when Phil was just subbing for Richie on that limited run of dates from april till may. You don't want a substitute guitar player to suddenly try and outshine your real player, not in skill or showmanship. If he were to do that today, I don't think there would be a problem....
Leaning towards this. Phil was much better received at this period because he was covering for a coming-back-soon Richie with the band's full support behind him. If his temporary replacement is showboating a little, it's not something he'd earned the right to do since his job was to hang in the shadows a bit and keep the show moving.

But on the opposite side, holy crap did did it look cool.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #13998  
Old 01-15-2022, 02:26 AM
Kathleen's Avatar
Kathleen Kathleen is offline
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead
 
Join Date: 05 Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Age: 73
Gender: female
Posts: 17,183
Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post

But on the opposite side, holy crap did did it look cool.
This move is a patented Springsteen move. Bruce has been doing it since the 70s. At a show - when the guitar started swinging around his neck - you knew there was more of an encore.
__________________

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Reply With Quote
  #13999  
Old 01-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Thinny's Avatar
Thinny Thinny is offline
Senior Member
Posting Always
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2013
Location: Leicester
Gender: male
Posts: 2,231
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
Well, remember these shows at the time were in 2011 when Phil was just subbing for Richie on that limited run of dates from april till may. You don't want a substitute guitar player to suddenly try and outshine your real player, not in skill or showmanship. If he were to do that today, I don't think there would be a problem....
Yeah ok, I kinda get that, but still..it's not like Phil was going out left of field with something. It just lasted a second, during one of his solos, got a good reaction, you'd think that would make Jon happy.
__________________
Thinny
https://www.last.fm/user/Thinny
Reply With Quote
  #14000  
Old 01-15-2022, 01:52 PM
Faceman Faceman is offline
Senior Member
Lay your Posts on Me
 
Join Date: 12 Apr 2006
Gender: male
Posts: 730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Yeah ok, I kinda get that, but still..it's not like Phil was going out left of field with something. It just lasted a second, during one of his solos, got a good reaction, you'd think that would make Jon happy.
100% agree. And besides that, when they hired Phil one should assume that they knew what kind of player he is.
__________________
Check out what's becoming the biggest Bon Jovi touring website: https://bjtours.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.