View Single Post

Old 03-26-2020, 08:34 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
It was in mid-2013 when the downwards spiral kicked in and he just couldn't stop it anymore. Until then, starting from the end of 2010 onwards, it had been pretty standard decline in the context of age/range of the songs and too much touring.

With Richie's departure, it worsened with every subsequent leg of the tour. Europe got a lot of slack on some nights, but in comparison to today, it was still gold. However, I remember standing in Stuttgart and the audio being very "dry" and clear on that open field and it being noticeable how brutally he was straining already.

Detroit '13 is the one I have kept in mind where the HAND performance had really gone downhill for that period of time and then another one on the autumn-arena leg of the tour, right after Tico's return where they performed In These Arms and Jon couldn't keep up anymore at all. That's when his breathing issues really became obvious.

By the time they went to Japan and Australia, it had gone to hell.

Just compare Bad Name from the start of the tour with the end of the tour:

(March '13)

(December '13)

The solo gig in '14 had less signs of accute strain since his voice had rested, but he mostly sounded decent on the non_Jovi cover tracks.

By 2015, he sounded like shit overall. Him screeching up the occasional high note in KTF or whatever didn't change him sounding very unpleasant overall. But at least, he was still sounding like Jon (albeit a bad one) and he was still on his old technique as the setlists have shown on that leg.

I agree that he had something done to his vocals either after the mini tour in 2015 or after the promo gigs in 2016. His voice didn't sound like Jon at all by the time they did the 2017 tour. The "benefits" of that (to my ears there weren't any) were gone by late 2017/18 because he never probably learned to adapt the new technique or simply was physically incapable of it.

And it'll only worsen with every show to come...
Great response and I agree with everything.

The promo gig's in 2016 were iffy. He was much better on the new tracks but when he did the classics like Bad Medicine (listen to the pro shot of Barrymore), he sounds no different than he does today... Maybe a notch better but it's still unlistenable.

If there was some type of surgery, it had to have been between March and October 2016. I don't think it was after the promo gig's...

Although a strong rumor, I really doubt he did anything surgically.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk