View Single Post

Old 07-03-2020, 08:54 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
Don't know, for several years from roughly HAND era onwards it just felt like Jon wanted to keep things rolling as they'd done until then, acknowledging and supporting Richie during hard times (with the 2007 disaster probably being the most prominent example) and still at least trying to be friends with him, but as Richie was already going way off the rails during the European leg in '06, something basically seemed to go wrong in his (RS) head for good, and since then he seemed somewhat unhappy with the band and Jon (especially with his position of "trying to keep Jon happy" as stated on the WWWB documentary), wasn't appreciating the band's decisions but was rather desperate to go more for his own tangents... and started to act increasingly in this arrogant/off-the-cuff manner he still does today...
Thanks for explaining. I guess I just view it differently. Granted, 2006-2007 was a bad time for Richie, for obvious reasons; but I didn't see any noticeable lack of appreciation for Jon or the band in it, or in what you mentioned after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
... (e.g. the moronic football match incident in January '13, when he didn't show up for the BBC TV rehearsal)...
That whole "Richie missed a rehearsal so he could watch a football game" thing seemed bizarre from the git to me. Not saying it didn't happen because it probably did; but I never understood why Jon would choose to publicize it anyway, much less adding (paraphrased), "and right now Richie's backstage going, '... #=%&$...' (chuckle, chuckle)"

Weird. I mean, what was the point? If it was something that was way out of the ordinary, why make a big deal about it? And if it was a common occurrence, why would that one time be significant? Also, if it was that commonplace, it raises the question again that I've asked before: If Richie was such a problem-child, why did Jon tell Pierre Robert there was no need for a contract? It seems to me like that could have prevented things like missed rehearsals, showing up too drunk to perform, all the other unprofessional behaviors people are convinced Richie was guilty of so often and for so long. Or it would have at least held him accountable. It just doesn't make sense. IMO, all that broadcast did was to indicate, in retrospect, that there were tensions brewing before the BWC tour even got underway.

Regarding the rest of your comments, I was going to move my response to the Richie Sambora thread because there's a similar discussion already underway over there. But then I realized I'd probably say nothing I haven't said before; some of it repeatedly. I may PM you. If you aren't interested, feel free to ignore it; but that way it won't annoy others who are sick of it.

Last edited by JackieBlue; 07-04-2020 at 01:14 AM..