View Single Post

Old 06-01-2021, 04:11 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysambo View Post
Wow, Thank You so much, Seb. That's high praise and means a lot to me! My two favorite guitar players [Richie Sambora & Dave Mustaine] aren't the most technical in their domain but have an unmistakable feel and swing that I'd take over virtuosos level fretboard acrobatics/wankery.
I think Mustaine is a technical riff and rythm player, especially for metal. Certainly his riffs are more technical than those of his peers (the Big Four). Swing and fretboard wankery can also go together as well. There are examples of players who could do both.

I like that Richie could do the showy stuff and sometime did, but it was always his feel and sense of melody that got to me. He was so clever at making the solo a song within a song while still completey servicing the total song. He was also a master of taking something simple and making it outstanding. His riffs are mostly beginner level but the classic ones transcend any talk of skill. Anyway, one of the worst things in the guitar community is hard to play = good and easy to play = bad.