Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Official Youtube.com Thread

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Actually, no matter how much annoyed with that Jon appears to be, he DOES make money on that. He's careful with his image, works out (never wanted to be that 'fat Elvis' anyway), let alone sexy photo shots and seductive behaviour on stage, kissing the fans, etc. I'm not saying Jon is a hypocrite *maybe a little bit :3* but he's very good at manipulating the love struck masses. It takes some intelligence to be beautiful and smart, so you won't just get used. It's a win-win situation taking all pros and cons into consideration. Beauty and good music is a killer combination. Why should we really deprive all those women (and some guys, too) of some pleasure in this life if the so called real fans *or die hards or whatever phrases they use to flatter themselves* get the music anyway? If something appeals to masses and is a commercial success, it's usually not of the highest value because let's face it - if most like it, what's so special about it anyway?
Old 04-26-2017, 02:34 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
1. I did not make a "golden voice" claim, it was another member. I acknowledged that he had a substantial decline, much like many singers
2. Jon was 34 on These Days tour which is considered prime years for any singer and thus is totally fair for him not to sound the same on the Bounce tour; so again, not comparable to the 2011-2017 downward spiral because of examples I pointed out.

But otherwise nice job completely ignoring my arguments from 2 posts ago. Among long-time Jovitalk members, very few can match this ability of yours.
I did touch on your two posts... Yes, Richie was on the Canada 2011 tour but it's Jon's IEM so that's the dominant track coming through... And your second point is what we are discussing now...

Continuing on:

So now you are saying that age 34 to 40 is a justifiable decline but 49 to 54 is not??? What kind of facts backup that intelligent statement?

You are posting like 6 years ago was the last tour. Jon attempting to sing 'Something To Believe In' in 2011 and hitting 'some/most of the notes' is like saying that in 1997 Jon was still singing Bed Of Roses and still hitting some/most of the notes meanwhile in 2003 he was doing the TLFR version...

Although I understand your frustration, your points are just not as shocking or valid as you're trying to make them out to be...

Lastly, ending your posts with aggressive insults is just making you look desperate...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Please (anyone) prove me wrong by giving some singers who declined rapidly in that age, because I couldn't think of one myself and I'm quite a geek on singers/vocals. I'm not being a dick here, I'm genuinely interested if there is really a case for a late-career vocal decline that would be comparable to Jon's.
I can't give you any examples, I've always assumed singers lose their voice when they age except for a few really lucky ones, so it doesn't matter to me and I've never paid attention (but I get what you mean, Jon's case is not the norm at all)

I'd like to point out that everybody uses the "rock singers didn't know better back then, everybody was abusing their voice with no regards for the future for years and that's the result" excuse when Jon had a vocal coach as early as 1988, i.e. the moment he realized he needed the training to sustain a long career. And has had that coach ever since and has learned to control his voice avoiding unnecessary strain.

Let's not pretend that poor Jon realized one day that he should have done something for his voice but it was too late 20 years later and oh well, shit happens

/end rant

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know
Old 04-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
I can't give you any examples, I've always assumed singers lose their voice when they age except for a few really lucky ones, so it doesn't matter to me and I've never paid attention (but I get what you mean, Jon's case is not the norm at all)

I'd like to point out that everybody uses the "rock singers didn't know better back then, everybody was abusing their voice with no regards for the future for years and that's the result" excuse when Jon had a vocal coach as early as 1988, i.e. the moment he realized he needed the training to sustain a long career. And has had that coach ever since and has learned to control his voice avoiding unnecessary strain.

Let's not pretend that poor Jon realized one day that he should have done something for his voice but it was too late 20 years later and oh well, shit happens

/end rant
Perfectly put! Jon is a control freak, always was, always will. And he's smart. Yes, he did some things like smoking that don't neccessarily help your voice, but overall I believe him when he says he's taking care of it and that he's worked hard for this tour.

Fact is we just don't know what problems he's having and if he's able to further improve/recover. Guess we'll have to wait and see...
Old 04-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Posting everyday

Had the pleasure of watching the "breakfast show" from Bounce last Sunday (they had played the venue the night before and did an additional laid-back concert Sunday morning while the audience had breakfast at the location). The setlist was just great for a diehard fans and all songs were done in a semi-acoustic/semi-electric setting which made it quite a blast. The setlist was:
Misunderstood
In These Arms
Real Life
Joey
Lost Highway
Blaze of Glory
Love For Sale
Any Other Day
Destination Anywhere
Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
This Ain't A Love Song
Never Say Goodbye
These Days
Prayer '94
Bed of Roses
Two Story Town + spontaneous cover section
You Give Love A Bad Name (TLFR)
Little Bit of Soul

There's a video of it on Youtube (quite some audience noise and it goes out of sync). It showcases how much their singer has upped his game in terms of phrasing and adding subtle nuances to his singing in the last 1.5 years:

Just imagining how great something like this from Bon Jovi would've been in something around 2001
Old 04-29-2017, 12:45 AM
The Distance

Sounds like Sebastian Bach covering Bon Jovi songs....

Old 04-29-2017, 01:24 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Sounds like Sebastian Bach covering Bon Jovi songs....

You can't judge his voice by a Youtube video. I was there and it was just fine, didn't notice any flaws. It actually sounds much closer when you're there in person. You know once you get sucked in by the music and are singing along it's great and the people around all kept talking about how great his voice is. I don't care if he was sitting on a chair glued to the microphone for most of the show, I just went there to have a great time and I did. By the way, they got very good critical reviews for both nights and I'm actually looking forward to the next show I'll attend this summer!
(...see what I did there?)
Old 04-29-2017, 02:09 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
You can't judge his voice by a Youtube video. I was there and it was just fine, didn't notice any flaws. It actually sounds much closer when you're there in person. You know once you get sucked in by the music and are singing along it's great and the people around all kept talking about how great his voice is. I don't care if he was sitting on a chair glued to the microphone for most of the show, I just went there to have a great time and I did. By the way, they got very good critical reviews for both nights and I'm actually looking forward to the next show I'll attend this summer!
Yes, I knew where you were going after the first line... Now I guess 'you get what I mean'

Old 04-29-2017, 02:30 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I did; but you didn't even mention that he's not as young as he used to be and no one should expect him to sound like he did when he was first starting out...

Sheesh! What kind of fan are you, anyway?
Old 04-29-2017, 01:10 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I did; but you didn't even mention that he's not as young as he used to be and no one should expect him to sound like he did when he was first starting out...

Sheesh! What kind of fan are you, anyway?
Silly me! I should be ashamed of myself!