Home Register Members FAQ

Real Life?

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 04:57 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I don't know, Captain. I know Richie confirmed that it was David playing the piano, so they might have re-recorded it in 2004. But that could also mean it was recorded for SITT, since David and Tico were involved with that one. In the box set notes, Jon says that it was "a song that didn't make one of his solo records" and the track listing says "unreleased solo track". (I know that could refer to US, too; but it sounds a bit more like Stranger to me.)

There are 2 different YT videos that seem to come from the same original recording. One is labeled "demo session 1990" and the other says "original electric version from rehearsal, oct 5th, 1990". When I listen to those, and compare them to the box set version, the voice sounds the same to me - the same phrasing, same variations on some of the same notes. It's more polished, obviously; but I think that would be the case whether it was recorded in 2004 or taken from a final studio cut for SITT. I could go either way, but I'd lean more towards it being an outtake from Stranger. JMO.

Richie Sambora - Demo Session (1990) - YouTube

Richie Sambora - If I Can't have Your Love - YouTube
I'll have a listen. I mean the song 100 percent was written for Stranger but the way his voice cracks at the "And if you ever leave it would be the end of me" points to 2004. To me that was when his range started weakening a tad. Jon saying that it was "a song that didn't make one of his solo records" doesn't change too much for me. It being a song that was originally written/demoed for SITT and re-recorded for this would fit this.

Also listen to Memphis Lives In Me and this back to back. The way the piano was recorded sounds very very similar and I wouldn't be shocked if they were recorded in the same time period.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:59 AM
This Post Feels Right

[quote=Rdkopper;1242922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycowboy1970 View Post

What do you mean 'they took out 7 songs?'... you mean didn't include 7 songs that wanted to?

I never heard of this. Which songs were they?

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
I was quoted as saying this but it wasn't me. I'm not sure what the OP meant by that but a lot of the facts he/she has said have been iffy so I don't know.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I'll have a listen. I mean the song 100 percent was written for Stranger but the way his voice cracks at the "And if you ever leave it would be the end of me" points to 2004. To me that was when his range started weakening a tad. Jon saying that it was "a song that didn't make one of his solo records" doesn't change too much for me. It being a song that was originally written/demoed for SITT and re-recorded for this would fit this.

Also listen to Memphis Lives In Me and this back to back. The way the piano was recorded sounds very very similar and I wouldn't be shocked if they were recorded in the same time period.
Miss Fourth of July (although undoubtedly from the KTF era) also has vocals on it which pretty much sound like Jon from somewhere around 2000-2004. I think there was quite some stuff re-recorded for the Box Set.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
If I can’t have Your love and Outlaws of Love belong to the New Jersey record. And for the double disc edition they took out 7 songs.
Hmmmm... 30-21-2=7???
Old 07-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Out Laws is now back to New Jersey?? No longer KTF?

I would say KTF: at the end of 1991 JBJ got written 12 songs solely by him for KTF, in 1992 he wrote/rewrote and with Richie.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:28 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Miss Fourth of July (although undoubtedly from the KTF era) also has vocals on it which pretty much sound like Jon from somewhere around 2000-2004. I think there was quite some stuff re-recorded for the Box Set.
Absolutely stuff was rerecorded for the box set. But the piano sound tells me it's current and Richie's voice tells me it's current. Just my opinion though.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:

BTW: If I can’t have Your love and Outlaws of Love belong to the New Jersey record. And for the double disc edition they took out 7 songs.
Where are you getting the info that If I can't have your love belongs to New Jersey demos? Absolutely nothing supports that. It was demoed a few years AFTER NJ's release, Jon had no credits writing it, the band's first song with Diane Warren is ON New Jersey itself so the timeline just doesn't work out.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:21 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I usually agree with you, but Jon's voice on Miss Fourth of July sounds way too youthful to my ears to be re-recorded for the boxset. Yes, he could push himself in the studio to reach these notes, but the tone is much cleaner than anything post-2000.

I do however agree that it doesn't sound like 1992 either. It actually sounds to me 94-95'ish. Jon sounded very similarly in other low-key ballads from that era, e.g. Bitter Wine and Letting You Go. So purely judging by ears and no background information, my guess is that they revisited the song for the TD album (much like Diamond Ring) and that is the vocal take that was released in 2004.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:26 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
I would say KTF: at the end of 1991 JBJ got written 12 songs solely by him for KTF, in 1992 he wrote/rewrote and with Richie.
What does that have to do with proving Outlaws was written for KTF?

Old 07-10-2018, 05:28 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
Hmmmm... 30-21-2=7???
Again, not following the logic

Tags
real life (song)