View Single Post

Old 04-04-2007, 03:49 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
It's truly a shame the song is overshadowed on the album by too many boring and soulless ballads that wind up getting lumped together. A common complaint about those ballads is that they lack pain. Yet, Open All Night is wracked with it.

I got your taste in the back of my mouth
I want to reach in and pull it out
And I'd be lying if I didn't say
When you're this close I'm afraid
Of the way I'll feel if I touch your hair
The way I'll miss you when you're not there
And that I'll see you when I close my eyes
It's too late, I've crossed that line

That entire verse summed it all up way too perfectly.
I liked the song from the beginning. It's repetitive, but I still think it's one of the best lyrics they've written in a long time.

Quote:
The only negative comment I have about the song is the line "It's 2 am, it's last call, baby. The barkeep's gone, I'll walk you home now. Save me, baby" ... It makes the song sound like they've just met at a bar, but if you read the verse I quoted above, it's obvious that it's a relationship that has been on-going.
I have a different take on the song. I've always seen it as a man who's been in a relationship with someone, but thing's ended up not too beautifully. And he meets this girl in a bar, they hit it off and the guy is dead afraid of getting into another relationship, because he fears he's going to get hurt again. But this beat up girl just makes him want to protect her, but also she needs her to save himself from the pain he's going through. If you'll allow this, sounds like something you're going through yourself.

Quote:
Keep going back over those albums over time, even those you may have written off as crap. You never know what you'll discover that you didn't hear the first time around.
This rarely happens to me, but I agree that people should listen more and judge less.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.