View Single Post

Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

This rarely happens to me, but I agree that people should listen more and judge less.
Exactly my words.

The first time i listened to "Bounce" I ended up skipping songs due to disappointment. I only listened to the first 10 seconds of "Open All Night" and then had enough and pushed the stop button. Then there was much negative talk about the song being their worst ballad, and as "Bounce" was called their worst album ever, it said a lot about people's opinions about the song. Half a year later, when I started to like "Bounce" and embrace it (a little less then the previous albums though), I liked the mood of OAN and the guitar sound that reminded me of an empty train station hall at night, or some guy playing the blues on a street corner at night. What kept me from really appreciating the song was Jon's cringy vocals near the end, but with time the melody and the lyrics crawled into me. And then, suddenly, I liked it.

Still I thought "Postcards From The Wasteland" would have been the better song to close the album, but given that OAN was on that position, I had to deal with it, and found a song, that was really touching in its own way, and sounding more honest too. Plus I've made a similar experience as Bleeding Purist, so I could connect to some degree.

The boxset version never touched me. I only listened to it a few times, it didn't connect. Yet. You'll never know what happens with time. Revisiting songs after years can give you really a totally new perspective. And again, I gree with Ice and (try to) listen more and judge less. It's always the same, I like songs that others don't (like "She's A Mystery"), and once you admit it, you get slagged off, or you are "gay" because you like "Cpt. Crash". I don't take that too seriously though. Still I find it very interesting that suddenly some people here "confess" that they like OAN. Miracles happen!

I might go back to Youtube now and listen to the live performance.