View Single Post

Old 03-13-2018, 12:49 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda
Default Phil X Guitar Tone

Here's the thing - I love his tone and the way he plays in songs like Always and Keep The Faith. It's really nice - and makes some of the songs sound new and fresh - especially during the solos.

However - I just can't get over the talkbox sound, and the Octave pedal he uses for Bad Name. (I just watched the recent iheart video from yesterday - reference being here: http://rocktivity.com/bj/bjIHeartRadio2018awd.mp4 ) The Pog 2 is a great pedal having personally used it myself, however it just doesn't have that sound for bad name - or if it does, the octave can actually be adjusted to not be as ridiculously prominant - it's an extremely diverse pedal. (Does anyone know what octave pedal Richie uses?) Like, it works for the solo - But that intro riff just doesn't sound good.

Same with the talkbox - the MXR doesn't work for a Bon Jovi sound. If memory serves me correct, Richie uses the Peter Frampton Talk Box - which doesn't have nearly as much of a high end as the MXR has. But I also have never used a talkbox, so maybe it's just the way Phil is using it?

But then I'm faced with a dilemna - Is it just Phil X bringing his own sound in, and that's okay? Or should he be trying to be replicating the original sound Richie had as best as he could? What are your thoughts on his tone?

I'm saying a lot of stuff, and not really asking any specific conversation. I generally just wanted to talk about Phil X and his guitar tone, and I asked a few questions to get the conversation started.