View Single Post

Old 09-25-2020, 12:49 PM
Livin' on a Post

1)Refreshing/Interesting lyrics considering the 2 decades of "live my life everyday" shtick that was to follow. That's the USP of this one in my opinion: the shattering of the innocence of youth. Something in the vein of "All my heroes died" off These Days.
2) The riff really nails it and the first 30 seconds makes you feel like something amazing is in store. So far so good!
3) No guitars discernible in the chorus (soon to become a staple 2000s Bon Jovi move). Although it really deflates the song, you brush it aside as a creative choice.
4) The bridge arrives & you are searching for the guitar solo and not only is it missing but there's no rhythm guitar either (if I remember accurately). Just some keyboards, which sound good but feel a bit misplaced.
5) The guitar returns with that sweet little Planet Caravan/Hysteria like D chord lick to end the bridge section. But then we jump into the deflated chorus again. This time it seems it'll never end, thanks to the barely there instrumentation accompanying the vocals. It ends well (the vocals only bit) and you're left there feeling unsure whether you listened to something average or a shade below (another thing that was about to become the norm). Ofcourse, you worship the band, so you rate it above average. Why would Arnold Schwarzenegger be in the video for it otherwise?
7/10 for me. (Real rating 6/10)

Last edited by rickysambo; 09-25-2020 at 12:52 PM..