View Single Post

Old 08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Tokyo Road

It's a good debut, youthful and hungry for life; although it's lacking some of the confidence of later albums, and does sound a bit dated now. It's got some really good guitar work on it though. I do think it has a very 'street kids' kind of feel to it, it's quite tough sounding and gritty in places, but is also clearly an album by young people. Jon hasn't quite developed into his vocal style yet (although I have to say, I do quite like the extremely high notes that are all over the album ), and of course, they haven't yet discovered the fantastic Jon/Richie harmonies, so backing vocals tend to consist of 'all band members shout out single words" . Good solid heavy drumming on this album, and also Dave more prominent than usual, although the synthesisers do tend to sound a little, erm, dodgy after a while.

Runaway- Obviously a classic, but more a Jon solo song really, as he's the only one who plays on it (except for Hugh of course). Anthemic and pop-metalish.... a clue to where they were gonna go in 1986

Roulette- Nice riff, good heavy song, good backing vocals, and good lyrics.. tis a good song, not much else to say though.

She Don't Know Me- I admit to have a sneaking fondness for this song yah, it's quite poppy, but in a good way I feel, although Jon sounds really really young in it. The chorus works well, with the multiple voice tracks. Good drumming as well, especially at the beginning

Shot Through The Heart- Fantastically atmospheric, very spooky sounding piano at the beginning, great vocals and lyrics, fantastic guitar work... can't fault it, definetly one of the album's finest moments.

Love Lies- Pretty good, dark tinged song. I like the way the vocals are at a different tempo to the music in places, making it seem as though the music drifts underneath... I like the high notes as well!

Breakout- Pretty good song, but nothing special IMO. I like the backing vocals in places, and the chorus is quite good, but not really much else to say

Burning For Love- Nice pace on this one, rocks pretty good, I love it up until about the end of the first chorus, especially the way the first verse moves into the chorus.... then it gets a little repetetive. Still a good song though

Come Back- Great song! Brilliantly written, with a great hook, and fantastic riffs and vocal effects. I likes it

Get Ready- Uh... No, not a big fan of this one. Sounds pretty **** really, not much else to say about it. Worst song on the album

Overall, good debut, little patchy, and lack of really classic songs lets it down a bit. It's also not too experimental, just mostly straight ahead rock. It does have some good songs though, so I will give it a nice 7/10

Keep On Rockin'

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!