View Single Post

Old 08-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

I think it's quite an underrated album and I listen to it quite often. I can sorta understand why some BJ fans don't like it so much cause the songs arn't as catchy or radio friendly but I personally like the fact that BJ has an album like this in their catalogue (though I still prefer NJ and SWW). Something a bit more raw and heavy and less commercial.

The best tracks for me are In and Out of Love, Only Lonely, Silent Night, Tokyo Road, Hardest Part and Secret Dreams. There are a few filler tracks but its pretty solid overall.

The production is very 80's and not as slick as their later efforts. I like the dark, smokey feel of the album and the band create pretty good atmosphere with songs like Tokyo Road.

Richies guitar playing is amazing as always and he has some great solos. The drums on the album are very loud which is good but sometimes need to sound a bit sharper and not so boofy. Jon's voice is strong and he does a great job.

Overall I'd put this album in their top 5. It's grown a lot on me over the past year or so and I think it never really got the attention it deserved. They should give songs like Bad name a rest in their live show and bring back some of the tracks off this album. I can't really see that happening though.