View Single Post

Old 08-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Livin' on a Post

I have to admit that I rarely listen to 7800...I don't think that it has dated too well and the production is a little shoddy, but some of the songs are definite indicators of the band's great potential...the two tracks that stand out above the rest are Tokyo Road and Hardest Part of the Night - strong melodies, good lyrics and exceptional guitar playing. There's certainly a dark edge to many of the songs which I find appealing - The Price of Love, Only Lonely and Silent Night are solid tracks, full of drama and heartbreak. While none of the songs are in the same league as those on Slippery and its succesors, there's a definite progression from the first album evident in the songwriting. I honestly don't think that there are many bad tracks on the record, just too many mediocre ones. I've never been a fan of In and Out of Love, even though it seems to be the only track on the record that the band have given much recognition to in recent years. King of the Mountain, To The Fire and Secret Dreams are decent enough efforts...but I think the album overall is a good example of a band still trying to find its feet.