View Single Post

Old 08-31-2004, 01:42 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

This has been one of my favourite BJ albums from the first time I heard it. My kids generally cringe when I play it..."Mum, it's soo tinny sounding" etc...but they forget they are trying to compare the sound of an album produced in 1985 to what they hear now, not taking into consideration the changes to recording techniques since then. I hear it for what it is and don't attempt comparisons. I think it's a bit of a shame that the band themselves sort of cringe at it too...perhaps it's because it harks back to a time when they were all miserable and love lorn...reminds them of a time they didn't enjoy much. A shame because the emotion in the songs, both lyrically and musically is very powerful.

Quote:
To The Fire: Astoundingly atmospheric, I actually really like the synthesiser sounds here. A nice guitar solo, great vocals (rock screams!) and a fantastically powerful chorus. Really like this one, very underrated song.
Couldn't have written that better....this is one song on the album that I return to over and over...this, Silent Night & The Hardest Part is The Night. And Walrus got it right with the description 'atmospheric'....I really would loved to have heard these songs live back in the 80's. [I wouldn't mind hearing them live now btw - cepts, to be honest, I'm not sure Jon's voice would hold those screams..JMO]

The imminent explosion that would be Slippery When Wet is very evident in this album.

My all time fav. album by anyone is KTF - as far as BJ albums specifically go, this sits equally with SWW and NJ at 2nd. spot. [9/10]

S.