Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Review of BJ box set

General BJ Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-26-2006, 07:39 PM
APK876 APK876 is offline
Junior Member
Suddenly
 
Join Date: 22 Feb 2003
Posts: 10
Default Review of BJ box set

http://the-screen-door.blogspot.com/...-be-wrong.html

A few years ago I wrote an in depth of the BJ box set before it had been released. I just started a blog to house most of the writings I have written for online magazines over the years (many of which have been Bon Jovi)...so I figured I'd let everyone know the box set review is up there for your reading pleasure.

xTony
http://the-screen-door.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 38
Gender: male
Posts: 13,188
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by APK876 View Post
http://the-screen-door.blogspot.com/...-be-wrong.html

A few years ago I wrote an in depth of the BJ box set before it had been released. I just started a blog to house most of the writings I have written for online magazines over the years (many of which have been Bon Jovi)...so I figured I'd let everyone know the box set review is up there for your reading pleasure.

xTony
http://the-screen-door.blogspot.com/
While I disagree with some of your assumptions as to what was recorded for when, it was really well written and made me want to put on the box set instantly. Nice work!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Cuchulainn Cuchulainn is offline
Senior Member
Blame it on the love of posting
 
Join Date: 16 Sep 2005
Location: Ireland
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
While I disagree with some of your assumptions as to what was recorded for when, it was really well written and made me want to put on the box set instantly. Nice work!
i agree very good review but if u want to argue over the times they were writtian check out bj.com because they gave a list of when they were recoreded. hink it should in the old news section somehwere
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 38
Gender: male
Posts: 13,188
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
i agree very good review but if u want to argue over the times they were writtian check out bj.com because they gave a list of when they were recoreded. hink it should in the old news section somehwere
There's a lot of those I refuse to believe. At the end of the day, it just comes down to common sense. I fully believe Ordinary People is from 99/2000, same with All I wanna do is you. Meh.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Cuchulainn Cuchulainn is offline
Senior Member
Blame it on the love of posting
 
Join Date: 16 Sep 2005
Location: Ireland
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
There's a lot of those I refuse to believe. At the end of the day, it just comes down to common sense. I fully believe Ordinary People is from 99/2000, same with All I wanna do is you. Meh.
well was it not done by odie i know he can joke around a lot but i dout he would have lied about the times and dates and i think he would have a better knowledge than us on it no matter what ears it sounds like its from!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 38
Gender: male
Posts: 13,188
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
well was it not done by odie i know he can joke around a lot but i dout he would have lied about the times and dates and i think he would have a better knowledge than us on it no matter what ears it sounds like its from!
No, they flat out said there are errors due to shoddy labelling and a bad memory. The majority of them seem right but there are a handful of them that just can't be from the time period said. Even in the dvd, Jon says Ordinary People has a vibe like Lullaby by Shawn Mullins, and that wasn't even recorded until '98ish, so it can't really be from These Days.

I have to go with my gut on some of the songs, I think. I wish they had been labelled better, I don't like having to guess.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Becky's Avatar
Becky Becky is offline
Retired Super Moderator
Crush
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Mississippi
Gender: female
Posts: 20,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
. I wish they had been labelled better, I don't like having to guess.

Imagine how stupid they feel--can't even remember when they wrote certain songs! I think some of Tony's guesses are just as good as some of their guesses.
__________________
Life is short. Be sure to spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing about politics and entertainment.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 38
Gender: male
Posts: 13,188
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Imagine how stupid they feel--can't even remember when they wrote certain songs!
Hahaha I gotta think they've written so many that to think "why aren't you dead" is from Crush? I can't even imagine how many songs they've written, total.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-27-2006, 06:56 PM
bonsab bonsab is offline
Senior Member
Next 100 Posts
 
Join Date: 02 Nov 2006
Location: monterrey, méxico
Age: 43
Gender: male
Posts: 142
Send a message via MSN to bonsab
Cool Well done

It´s ok my friend it was a good challenge to write all the review.

Congratulations
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Mr. Saturday Night's Avatar
Mr. Saturday Night Mr. Saturday Night is offline
Senior Member
Wanted Dead or Alive
 
Join Date: 14 Dec 2004
Location: Great White North AKA Canada
Gender: male
Posts: 427
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Saturday Night
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
No, they flat out said there are errors due to shoddy labelling and a bad memory. The majority of them seem right but there are a handful of them that just can't be from the time period said. Even in the dvd, Jon says Ordinary People has a vibe like Lullaby by Shawn Mullins, and that wasn't even recorded until '98ish, so it can't really be from These Days.

I have to go with my gut on some of the songs, I think. I wish they had been labelled better, I don't like having to guess.
1998 is the latest I can imagine for that song. The mention of flying high like Michael Jordan tells me that the latest this song could've been recorded is 1998 since that's when MJ retired, and a line like that wouldn't work unless he was active.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cross road

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.