View Single Post

Old 12-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Revisiting Lost Highway

I recently wanted to listen to Any Other Day, so I got the Japanese import CD out of the collection to play while I was driving.

For me, I liked the CD even then. Now, I find it even stronger than I used to. Make a Memory is one of the best ballads and singles they have released since 2000. Whole Lot of Leaving is absolutely beautiful, both lyrically and musically. Lost Highway is extremely well written.

I know many of you hate We Got it Going On and my initial reaction was disappointment because I thought Jon, Richie, John, & Kenny could write something more significant. As a fan of both acts, I know what Big & Rich are capable of writing too. However, it only took a couple of listens for me to fall in love with the song. It sounds GREAT on the recording and it’s JOYOUS in the live setting. I cannot hear this song and be in a bad mood. That was very helpful for me when it was new because I was stressing at work and had to listen to it on repeat driving in.

I think the best part was discovering I actually really like some of the songs I thought were on the weaker side at the time: Everybody’s Broken, Seat Next to You. Maybe because I am coming to terms with brokenness, trying to overcome it, and dealing with so much loss. My dad died 15 years ago today. Three uncles have died recently, including one just a couple of months ago. My cousin’s seven year old son was killed in an accident about 2 years ago. Mother has dementia. She’s lost. I’m looking forward to that seat next to loved ones again someday. (If your beliefs about the afterlife differ, I don’t need a dissertation on why. You won’t change mine and I’m not forcing mine on you either.)

And, of course, I am amused that Put the Boy Back in Cowboy was a Japanese bonus track. I’ve never been to Japan. I wonder if the very USA-centric references in the song resonate in that culture. Big belt buckle, Stetson hat, rope a calf, Hank, Jack straight up, pick up trucks, red neck wannabe, two-step, rodeo, getting “frisky.” I know you can find any needed explanation on line, but I think listening to it with the perspective of snickering at the mental image on first listen makes it entertaining.

Anyway. I find it even more solid than I did at the time. I’m glad I happened to be at the Newark show where it was played in its entirety.

Taking a step back is letting me enjoy my favorite band again. Maybe I should dig out Have a Nice Day or Bounce next.

If you bothered to read this, thanks.