Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

How to completely ruin it for a Bon Jovi fan who sells bootlegs she didn't record?

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-29-2008, 03:01 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic
Default How to completely ruin it for a Bon Jovi fan who sells bootlegs she didn't record?

Aloha !

This has been bugging me, and in fact many others, for some time. We are aware that people sell bootlegs on eBay just for the sake of making money. Some people over here record their own shows or do impressive jobs on remastering a bootleg DVD. They put that stuff online for free so other people can enjoy their efforts and have a chance to listen and watch a show they weren't at. And then there come the ****heads who just download it and put it on eBay with a nickname of which they think we don't know who it is so they can make money over the back of someone else.

However. I just found out who a certain seller was. I've got the name, I've got the adress, and I've got pretty much everything. She's pretty big in the Backstage community and therefore people still hang out with her simply because she is always there first to arrange certain stuff for them. There aren't that many people that actually hang out with them because she's nice company though, simply because she just isn't.

How to properly **** it up for such a person so she won't have the guts to sell any of the bootlegs she got for free? This might come off as such a small deal for you but when you give away things for free and people start selling it for ridiculous amounts of money you'd for sure feel different.

Any advice is welcome.

P.S. and in case this seller is reading this; you're seriously ****ed.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Old 10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
The Distance

I agree I'm totally shocked she's selling Kathleen's authorings of shows and some of mine too. I know her quite well, but this beats everything... Simply terrible.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Friends will be friends
Bounce

One good way to stop them making any money would be to contact every bidder on such an item and link them to somewhere they can get the thing for free. Another way would be to put up listings ourselves and just offer the same information to everyone who bids, and end the auction without taking any money from anyone. Oh, and name and shame them all over the place of course.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Jovi Freak

I'm not sure what the best way to attack this is but anyway I can help, let me know and I will do so because that's a pretty low thing to do to fellow fans.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Something for the Posts

I think contacting ebay to tell them about it, not sure what they'll do but it would help, and as others say point the bidders in the direction of the free downloads rather than letting her make money out of it.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Crap - not someone else I "think" I finally dealt with the one guy who was selling everyone's stuff without permission by e-mailing him and telling him that I contacted Bon Jovi management - I think Paragon gave me the address. I can look it up since I'm sure I still have it somewhere. I don't know if they actually followed up or not since I never heard from the guy again but I did write a letter (I never found an e-mail address).

And then you can report the auctions to e-bay so they pull the stuff. That is less effective since the seller can still complete the transaction outside of e-bay. And they can change their nickname etc.

On the other hand - I try to take the cosmic viewpoint. Once it's out on the internet, people can do what they want and you really have no recourse. All of us post full flac files and ask that the mp3s not be traded but you know how far that goes too. Sometimes people just suck (I've been sick so I guess my tolerance for bullshit down right now)

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

Since this person is a Backstage member, you could try posting that they're making money off the band on the Backstage board. I've seen threads like that, and people have gotten blasted. Of course, if they're part of the in-crowd, that may not work.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Wish for Wings
Blaze of Posting

All the suggestions in this thread seem helpful but I would also definitely name them and shame them publicly. It's too easy for them to do 'bold' things behind an obscure nick, but what about when things get more real?

- Charlotte Brontė.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Just posting

I haven't seen any shows on ebay in quite some time. I thought ebay had done away with allowing bootleggs.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to severo17

KILL HER!!!!!
No, seriously... Report to Ebay