View Single Post

Old 12-14-2019, 03:02 AM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_K View Post
https://www.pollstar.com/article/the...e-world-142923

JBJ:
“Well, if you consider numbers, we’re as big or bigger than ever. You see how they come back again and trust in the change in lineup and the musical direction in as much as I’m not trying to rewrite ‘You Give Love a Bad Name,’” says Bon Jovi, discussing the runaway success of his latest “This House Is Not For Sale” tour which wrapped in October. “I think that speaks to me as the leader and primary songwriter, that they trust me as an audience.

"And that’s a leap of faith for them to take, because they bought into a certain thing that they may have grown up in or grown up with. They have to then trust me, and if it wasn’t worth their time and money, they would move on and keep the memories wherever music fans store them.”

About Richie:
“This isn’t a band that is dependent on the guitar player like Van Halen or U2 or something, it was about the songs and it was about me,” Jon Bon Jovi tells Pollstar of its current incarnation and the departure of Sambora. “We got it. I wish he was here, too, because we were a formidable duo. Our voices were the magic and he’s a great guy and all that kind of stuff, but his choices have led him astray.”

On touring:
“I do remember the beginning of the conversation and, it must have been in 2014, telling Tico my thought processes,” Bon Jovi tells Pollstar. “That instead of doing 100-show tours and then you’re tired into Year Two, and then in Year Three you write and record a record and start the cycle again, why not do the same 100 shows over the course of the same three years. Everything is much more civilized, and therefore you could be writing and recording simultaneously, never missing out on the home stuff, if we scheduled it properly,” Bon Jovi explains.

“So then you could go out every year and not wear out your touring markets, because every third year, that market would be ready for you again.”
It does seem that when Richie didn't show all them years ago, Jon just snapped his hand off. What I mean is if Richie did show he would probably still be in the band, but Jon seemingly was waiting for something to close the door.

He's mostly right in what he says, of course, but the way he dismisses the previous incarnation of the band (you know, the only one anyone really cares about) is pretty disrespectful. They just became different people and Richie just does not suit Jon's image anymore. It appears Jon was low key happy Richie made the first most, so to speak.

Has any band ever become as outwardly corporate as Bon Jovi? Jeez he even talks about it like it's simply a business thing. And yeah, I am not naive enough to think most mega successful bands are ultimately organizations, but at least most of them hide it.