View Single Post

Old 09-22-2021, 02:50 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Gary Moore isn't playing so well these days...

I could never stand Yngwie. All that million miles an hour notes does nothing for me. No passion, all technique

I don't think any of the players mentioned have improved from their heydays, but you are right they haven't declined, or declined as much as Richie's has. As I've said in my other posts, I do think that he has health issues, probably stemming from years of partying hard, that are developing as he gets older.
I appreciate that Yngwie is a marmite guitarist, especially for non-guitar players. He is supremely talented and I think people forget how influential he was, but I admit his playing can often be self indulgent. Although I was recently watching some of his live shows with Alcatraz and he was off the charts good.

Back to Richie, while I am sure there are times he has been intoxicated publically over the last decade, I do not think it explains his decline. His voice hasn't gone, it is his playing while his general demeanor can sometimes seem off. Let's not forget he probably played plenty of times smashed over the years and did a good job.

Is he now just sloppy and not putting in the hard work, the equivalent of not looking after your voice? Maybe, but I think he said in one interview he plays guitar more than ever and does practice. Perhaps he just does not do well as a frontman. He often looks uncomfortable and out of his element. For all his talk of being a frontman in his older bands, he was not one for thirty years. It does require some skill to capture the audience beyond your quality as a musician.