Home Register Members FAQ

Richie Sambora!!!

General BJ Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
51:02 during the solo in Good Times. Richie's wah wah solo starts before his hand is even on the neck of the guitar.
So, I'm curious. Was there anything you did like?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:56 AM
Jovi Freak

Lol... very "strange" >_< jajaj
Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
So, I'm curious. Was there anything you did like?
Richie's energy, What Have We Done is gorgeous. I think had a tour happened Making History is the perfect opener. I'd of like to see it followed by Rise as a second song. I think this is the best backing band Richie has had since 2012. I also don't know why it couldn't have aired as it was.

I genuinely don't think the RSO album is that bad.

Last edited by Captain_jovi; 07-14-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Old 07-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Richie is a terrific singer and a brilliant guitar player, but a horrible, horrible frontman.

100% correct.
A big reason RSO was so drab is that (apart from the songs were boring ) they both are not good front people. They don’t have any stage presence as front men. She was awful and dragged him down and he doesnt have the presence to rise to the challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo

Last edited by steel_horse75; 07-15-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Old 07-14-2019, 08:15 PM
These Days

Quote:
Richie's energy, What Have We Done is gorgeous. I think had a tour happened Making History is the perfect opener. I'd of like to see it followed by Rise as a second song. I think this is the best backing band Richie has had since 2012. I also don't know why it couldn't have aired as it was.

I genuinely don't think the RSO album is that bad.
That band was great! I'd prefer Matt Rollings on keys; but otherwise they're the best I've heard with Richie (excluding SITT, for obvious reasons). Best backing vocals I've heard in a long time - really tight, with a blend I don't remember hearing from his other backup singers; and that I've yet to hear from the current BJ lineup, tbh, which is my chief complaint about them. It's not that they don't get the harmonies right, note-wise; but it's like each is singing in his own bubble, so there's no blend. I could hear the difference in IBTFY; and now that I think about it, the tight vocals had a lot to do with making that cold kickoff to What Have we Done work so well. It wouldn't have been nearly as effective without that.

IBTFY was special that night for a lot of reasons. Richie was in good form. He seemed to be totally in his element and having a good time. I loved "Everybody sing!" when he started back into the chorus after the singalongs, just because he sounded so relaxed and in to it. Overall, when they did IBTFY that night, it blew me away so much that, aside from WHWD, that was the song I was most anxious to hear in the broadcast - to see if it was really as good as I remembered it.

I honestly didn't realize the show had been doctored that much, other than cutting the songs that didn't make it into the broadcast. But then I don't usually catch stuff like that, unless it's really obvious, and there are words involved, like an interview where the lips move but the words lag behind thru the whole thing. I'd never be able to pick it out in the instrumentals. I could probably see what you're talking about with the talk-box, if I go back to it, just because Richie is obviously the only one on talkbox; but when there are three guitars, my mind would automatically lay it off as hearing one of the others.

At any rate, I know you had been looking forward to seeing this; and I was beginning to think the editing had messed up the whole thing for you. I'm glad to know that wasn't the case.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 PM
The Distance

Richie as a front man looks like a lazy version of Jon... Even up to today, issues asides, Jon is still a brilliant front man.

Richie learned from watching the best for 30 years, but Jon just has that personality for it... Richie needs to be a little more mystique. The smiley, clap your hands Richie is very unnatural.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

I've seen Richie and Orianthi live three times and each time Orinathi just stood around looking miserable, distant or bemused by Richie's antics.

She works well as a band member for Alice Cooper or whatever but when she's in the spotlight her lack of charm is very evident.

The last time I saw Richie when he was supporting Bad Company he seemed really up for it but half drunk and he kept pointing at the other musicians giving them instructions on the fly which just came off as amateur.

He did the right thing ditching Borianthi but unless he gets his head right I can't see him making anything great again.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
That band was great! I'd prefer Matt Rollings on keys; but otherwise they're the best I've heard with Richie (excluding SITT, for obvious reasons). Best backing vocals I've heard in a long time - really tight, with a blend I don't remember hearing from his other backup singers; and that I've yet to hear from the current BJ lineup, tbh, which is my chief complaint about them. It's not that they don't get the harmonies right, note-wise; but it's like each is singing in his own bubble, so there's no blend. I could hear the difference in IBTFY; and now that I think about it, the tight vocals had a lot to do with making that cold kickoff to What Have we Done work so well. It wouldn't have been nearly as effective without that.

IBTFY was special that night for a lot of reasons. Richie was in good form. He seemed to be totally in his element and having a good time. I loved "Everybody sing!" when he started back into the chorus after the singalongs, just because he sounded so relaxed and in to it. Overall, when they did IBTFY that night, it blew me away so much that, aside from WHWD, that was the song I was most anxious to hear in the broadcast - to see if it was really as good as I remembered it.

I honestly didn't realize the show had been doctored that much, other than cutting the songs that didn't make it into the broadcast. But then I don't usually catch stuff like that, unless it's really obvious, and there are words involved, like an interview where the lips move but the words lag behind thru the whole thing. I'd never be able to pick it out in the instrumentals. I could probably see what you're talking about with the talk-box, if I go back to it, just because Richie is obviously the only one on talkbox; but when there are three guitars, my mind would automatically lay it off as hearing one of the others.

At any rate, I know you had been looking forward to seeing this; and I was beginning to think the editing had messed up the whole thing for you. I'm glad to know that wasn't the case.
I'm looking it like I'm looking at the current band. If it takes heavy doctoring to make pro-releases sound pro then it's sad for everyone BUT at least we get a nice sounding product out of it. I think the ghost guitar parts were mostly obvious because as a guitar player I was curious who played which parts on the record and to see if I had the fingerings right by looking at their hands and then just started hearing things not being played.

That being said I wish I saw them grow and figure things out. They got a third player presumably to allow them to sing more and put more into the show and not worry about playing, that was a step in the right direction. They finally put out an album. So the whole thing just ended so strangely.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:41 PM
These Days

Quote:
I'm looking it like I'm looking at the current band. If it takes heavy doctoring to make pro-releases sound pro then it's sad for everyone BUT at least we get a nice sounding product out of it. I think the ghost guitar parts were mostly obvious because as a guitar player I was curious who played which parts on the record and to see if I had the fingerings right by looking at their hands and then just started hearing things not being played.

That being said I wish I saw them grow and figure things out. They got a third player presumably to allow them to sing more and put more into the show and not worry about playing, that was a step in the right direction. They finally put out an album. So the whole thing just ended so strangely.
It was strange. Not surprising, imo, but strange nevertheless. Maybe the "right directions" will carry forward to their solo releases. Here's hoping, anyway.

Like I said, as long as words and lip movements match up, I'm a pretty happy camper. I'm not guitarist enough to catch any editing or overdubbing on the guitar parts. Was it that pervasive; or just here and there that you noticed it? I ask because I don't remember anything that stood out as bad enough to need redoing.

(But take that for what it's worth; because I'm also the one who thought the Rock Hall performance was beautimous until I compared the broadcast version with the unedited one. I guess my ears were on a high that night! Which could also apply to the PBS taping.)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
It was strange. Not surprising, imo, but strange nevertheless. Maybe the "right directions" will carry forward to their solo releases. Here's hoping, anyway.

Like I said, as long as words and lip movements match up, I'm a pretty happy camper. I'm not guitarist enough to catch any editing or overdubbing on the guitar parts. Was it that pervasive; or just here and there that you noticed it? I ask because I don't remember anything that stood out as bad enough to need redoing.

(But take that for what it's worth; because I'm also the one who thought the Rock Hall performance was beautimous until I compared the broadcast version with the unedited one. I guess my ears were on a high that night! Which could also apply to the PBS taping.)

I wasn't there but I believe he did sound good on the PBS taping. The one night of peace performance was at the end of 2017 and he sounds great in the recorded and in the edited pro version. I think his voice was in a great state at that time.
Closed Thread

Tags
richie sambora