Thread: Richie Sambora
View Single Post

Old 03-29-2023, 03:33 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach8812 View Post
Thank you for the replies, that's a shame as it was a long and interesting interview.
Richie is a great musician, sadly he snapped around 2006 and you can tell something in him changed and creeped up on him later - but his problems shouldn't interfere with the album release. Plenty of bands who are using or drinking heavily (barely able to stand on stage) are still recording, touring and promoting their material. There has to be more behind the scenes, at times it feels like he's got a poor PR team or something related to the label. At times, I ain't gonna lie, I have this striking fear Richie might have lasting effects from drugs or alcohol or some other disease cause in some recent performances it's like he completely forgot how to play in key. I mean, he gave some great performances even in 2014-2016 and he was drunk in many of those occasions - hall of fame included and he sounded good. The Masked Singer is proof he can still sing very well, it's his guitar playing I'm talking about.

Any opinions?
Was he drunk for the Hall of Fame performance?

I am in the camp that he is not falling off the wagon every 5 minutes or living permanently off it. Like you say, there are plenty of musicians who function like that, and Richie himself always loved a party and it only affected his performances when it became very serious.

There is a possibility that he has some lasting damage from his addictions. I do hear his speech more slurred and less cognitive than before. However, this is all wild speculation and the reality is we are likely to ever know.

There are some tangibles and you touched on one of them, his guitar playing. While he can still sing well, his guitar playing is a mile off where it used to be and has been poor for many years now. Unfortunately, I think this may just come down to not practising in the correct way and maybe his misguided belief he is some off the cuff jam musician. Ironically, Richie was at his best when he was reigned in by Jon. As a guitar player it frustrates me how sloppy he has become.

It reminds me of Kirk Hamment, who is also nowhere near as good as he used to be. Hammet admits that almost all of his guitar playing - both on record and live - is improvised these days. It doesn't work with him and he was at his best when planning out riffs and solos. But, he has convinced himself improvising equals the ultimate musical expression, no matter how shit it is.