Thread: Richie Sambora
View Single Post

Old 04-30-2024, 04:51 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
Does the creator of the riff/solo get a writing credit?

I thought not, but I guess it depends the band. Dry County would exist as a song, lyrics and structure, without Richie's input. Does Richie's input add to the song? Arguably yes, at least for me, but it is not a necessary component of the song. Same for the riff in Blaze. And Alec's comment doesn't make sense, there are plenty of Jon songs with no Richie input that are not cowboy songs in any way.

Jon has many flaws that we can discuss, but trying to discredit his skills as a songwriter is just strange. People saying he would have ended up as a mid-card performer. He may have been content with that starting out, but the reality is the guy wrote hit songs that are good. By the way, Bryan Adams did too, so if Jon had been aiming for that, its cool.

Agreed. And I'm not sure if its completely fair, the way how songwriting credits are given, but it is how it is, and there are still good reasons for it. It's completely different craft in getting lyrics/harmony/vocal melody to the room versus being great inspired guitar player that plugs in and gets the riff and solo. Both are perhaps needed for great rock band, but it's not the same for songwriting credits.

Regading Jon, I also think that Jon would be happy to have different direction, as he always saw himself as driven pop(ular) figure, no matter the context. Talented songwriter with ear for both hooks and musical landscape changes, brilliant businessman (not only in later days, but most importantly taking management of Bon Jovi after NJ cycle) and distinct and supreme hard rock vocalist in his prime.

But give him another context, like Bryan Adams in his day and age, or Robbie Williams/Lenny Kravitz later, he would be successful either way. Though, this mix with Richie is the sauce, the magic shit.