Thread: Sex Sells
View Single Post

Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times over but I have a few questions.
Since I joined probably a dozen topics about it have been created. But I'll answer anyway. Please remember I'm 18 and probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Jon was supposed to release back to back solos in the late 90's. Does anyone know why SS was squashed? I've heard people say they released Crush instead but that was 2 years later and only a coulple songs were recycled. Was it b/ DA failed commercially?
It was not because DA failed commercially. There were even advertisements out for it. No one really knows why it wasn't released.

Quote:
And what was the Listening Party? Where was it? Are those songs live? The sound is so bad, I can't even tell. Are there any fans on this board who were there that could elaborate?
As far as I know, no one here has heard any of Sex Sells apart from the stuff released on the boxset and Bsides.

Quote:
When was it even written and recorded being that DA was released in '97 and Jon toured it in '97 '98? When did he have time for this Sex Sells album that I belive was supposed to be released in '98 '99? I know he wrote DA while making movies. Did he write the SS songs at the same time? I'd say no b/c the songs sound so much different.
Can't answer this question as not much was said about the album. It only takes 2 weeks in a studio to make an album though. I'm sure there was time. Many artists write music on the road.

Quote:
I find this "lost" album interesting. What was the reason for doing back to back solos? Why spend all that money and time writing / recording and then squash it?

And last, what do you think of those songs? Good Ain't Good Enough? Last Chance Train? Rich Man, etc?
I think it was a good album, much better than anything that came after it. Neurotica, Garageland, Ordinary People and Temptation are all good songs. It was just dropped and no one knows the real reason why.

Last edited by Panda; 05-08-2011 at 05:21 AM..