Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Skid Row

General BJ Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-27-2004, 01:15 PM
diego66 diego66 is offline
Junior Member
Undiscovered Posts
 
Join Date: 06 Apr 2004
Posts: 12
Default Skid Row

Does anybody know the real deal with these guys, from what Ive heard, they started up with Bon Jovi and they made a promise 2 eachother that whoever makes it big 1st would help the other out. Apparently JBJ ripped them off somewhere down the line. Anyway they are a great band and I would reccomend a couple of songs in '18 and Life' and'I remember you'
__________________
FICA-FICA-FRESH!
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 05-27-2004, 01:30 PM
RichieW2001's Avatar
RichieW2001 RichieW2001 is offline
Senior Member
Midnight on JoviTalk
 
Join Date: 27 Jan 2003
Location: Manchester (for good)
Posts: 10,370
Default

we've been through this a million times before. the skid row guys have all since admitted that they knew what they were signing. all except mr bach, that is.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Becky's Avatar
Becky Becky is offline
Retired Super Moderator
Crush
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Mississippi
Gender: female
Posts: 20,293
Default

Skid Row wasn't even formed when Bon Jovi was, so there could not have been such a promise made. Dave Sabo was too young to be in Jon's band which is why they looked for a replacement and found Richie.

Go to Metal Sludge and read Dave Sabo's interview. Jon and Richie did not rip them off.

Becky
__________________
Life is short. Be sure to spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing about politics and entertainment.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Mike McRock's Avatar
Mike McRock Mike McRock is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Freak
 
Join Date: 13 Jan 2003
Location: Standing on the Rock
Posts: 3,612
Send a message via MSN to Mike McRock
Default

I always thought it was a kind of catch 22 thing with Skid Row...

Yes Bon Jovi ripped them off in that they took a hell of a lot out of them, setting up an unfair contract with they willingly signed.

HOWEVER, if Bon Jovi hadn't have taken them under their wing they probably wouldn't have sold, certainly wouldn't have got on the big tours they did.

So I still think Bon Jovi should have taken much less from the band, but then there was a lot to take because of what Bon Jovi gave them.

I think also the reason Seb is the only person who'd say anything is because he's the only person who probably really doesn't care about Bon Jovi. The rest of them woudln't say too much against him because he's such a big name in music... Not somebody you want to be slagging off! Seb has a rock and roll attutide in that way, but his attitude is what's going to stand in the way of him ever singing in a real rock band again (I don't blaim Slash for turning him down-despite the fact I don't think there are many better vocalists out there)
__________________
Marge: start a security company
Homer: Wuh! Finaly a way to combine my love of helping people, with my love of hurting people.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-27-2004, 06:49 PM
spunkywho's Avatar
spunkywho spunkywho is offline
Senior Member
This Post Feels Right
 
Join Date: 05 Sep 2003
Location: seattle
Age: 52
Gender: female
Posts: 13,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McRock
Yes Bon Jovi ripped them off in that they took a hell of a lot out of them, setting up an unfair contract with they willingly signed.

HOWEVER, if Bon Jovi hadn't have taken them under their wing they probably wouldn't have sold, certainly wouldn't have got on the big tours they did.
I agree.

The mere fact that SR knew what they were signing doesn't mean they weren't ripped off. If you are an up and coming band you are more likely to sign your life away then if you are an established band with a choice of record labels.

Aerosmith was ripped off - even though they knew what they were signing and the contract reflected terms commonly used at the time. It still doesn't make it right.

Bach did have a great voice, but they really were never too well respected in their days. They were a hair band that rode on the glam metal train - like so many others. '18 and life' is a great song as are maybe a couple more and that is it.
__________________
Why wonít you say something now
Donít leave me hanging
Cut me down
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-27-2004, 07:32 PM
DevilsSon's Avatar
DevilsSon DevilsSon is offline
Senior Member
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 29 Jul 2002
Location: Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania
Gender: male
Posts: 8,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
Go to Metal Sludge and read Dave Sabo's interview. Jon and Richie did not rip them off.

Becky
He says there :" However, we've never seen one cent back!"

Come on...everybody knows Jon and Richie ripped them off.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Becky's Avatar
Becky Becky is offline
Retired Super Moderator
Crush
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Mississippi
Gender: female
Posts: 20,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon
He says there :" However, we've never seen one cent back!"

Come on...everybody knows Jon and Richie ripped them off.
Long before any of the contract came out, the word was that Jon and Richie had written their songs, specifically the hits like 18 & Life and I Remember You. What Jon and Richie had were publishing rights, which is what songwriters get. So if they were really ghostwriters as was speculated from the moment Skid Row hit the shelves, then they got what they were due. Songwriters always make more much money than performers.

Becky
__________________
Life is short. Be sure to spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing about politics and entertainment.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Jonny Sambora's Avatar
Jonny Sambora Jonny Sambora is offline
Senior Member
Blame it on the love of posting
 
Join Date: 26 Sep 2002
Location: Ireland
Age: 43
Gender: male
Posts: 1,057
Send a message via MSN to Jonny Sambora
Default

If they didnt rip them how, how come Richie was so embarrased that he gave the money he made out of it back??
__________________
Dublin 13th July 1996
Dublin 25th August 2000
Dublin 10th June 2001
Dublin 20th June 2003
London Hyde Park 28th June 2003
Dublin 20th May 2006
Munich 28th May 2006
New Jersey Giants Stadium 29th July 2006
Dublin 7th June 2008
Dublin 29th June 2011
Dublin 30th June 2011
Slane 15th June 2013
Richie Sambora Dublin 30th June 2014
Richie Sambora Belfast 1st July 2014
Dublin 15th June 2019
Dublin 16th June 2019
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2004, 12:55 PM
RichieW2001's Avatar
RichieW2001 RichieW2001 is offline
Senior Member
Midnight on JoviTalk
 
Join Date: 27 Jan 2003
Location: Manchester (for good)
Posts: 10,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Sambora
If they didnt rip them how, how come Richie was so embarrased that he gave the money he made out of it back??
he didn't. that was a rumour.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2004, 03:44 PM
RockerFan's Avatar
RockerFan RockerFan is offline
Senior Member
Livin' on a Post
 
Join Date: 12 Jun 2003
Location: turin italy
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon
He says there :" However, we've never seen one cent back!"

Come on...everybody knows Jon and Richie ripped them off.
Long before any of the contract came out, the word was that Jon and Richie had written their songs, specifically the hits like 18 & Life and I Remember You. What Jon and Richie had were publishing rights, which is what songwriters get. So if they were really ghostwriters as was speculated from the moment Skid Row hit the shelves, then they got what they were due. Songwriters always make more much money than performers.

Becky

these two songs were written by SABO/BOLAN!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
skid row

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.