Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

I'm With You

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 PM
The Distance

Default I'm With You

Looking back at WAN now that the tour is over, it's a shame I'm With You didn't get its chance to see the light of day.

I just watched the Stuttgart performance and just love that raw version. This compared to the studio version is a perfect example as to why Shanks and Bon Jovi just don't belong together anymore.

I just don't get it. The song when over well with fans, it seems easy on Jon's vocals, and I really thought it was going to be a single based on its album placement. The only thing I could think of is maybe Jon thought the live version was too demo-ish or was too far off from the overproduced studio track.

Anyway, I would like to see Jon take this direction with a solo album. It's not the best song ever but it does offer a nice balance and change to what we need. It has a darker feel, I really like the different tempo, and it offers a nice balance to Jon's vocals. Shanks just needs to stay far away from songs as such.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

John Shanks wrote the song with Jon.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
John Shanks wrote the song with Jon.
Maybe he should just keep him as a co-writer and NOT use his production.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:21 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

It's the same with so many post 2000 songs. The best ones are getting overlooked and that is why everyone is bored. This should have been a staple this tour, if not, then certainly played more regular. I don't know what it is, but I loved it from first listen and still do and I really enjoyed it when I seen videos of it live.

This would have been good on the circle. Yeah, it's not as slow as other songs on there but maybe that's a blessing. Songs like Memory or Beautiful absolutely kill the crowd. This may be different...

Hopefully next tour (if we get one) they go through the past tours, look back on the negatives, look back on the positives and realize what's good and bad. I do it with my sessions for clients and I find it very useful, I think the band should do the same sort of thing...

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
It's my post

I agree, loved the live version and was disappointed with the overproduced version on the album. I would have preferred a version more akin to the live performance on the album, and then they could have used the current album version as a single edit (for what little use that is worth these days).

Jovi are dead as a singles act though sadly- not 100% their fault of course, they are just too old and "uncool" for the youth market that buys singles. Any BJ song would simply struggle to get the airplay required to be a "hit" in the previous sense of the word, but that shouldn't stop them making them videos and making 3 or 4 songs from the album the main focus and have them as singles- release them to radio and maybe they could catch on. I do think I'm With You was a missed opportunity for us in the sense that it was sadly most ignored, not that it would have been a radio hit.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 01-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

I'm With You is my favorite song from WAN. It's a shame I never saw it live this tour.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Just posting

Best song on the album, ridiculously ignored. But as has been said several times, this band (or the label) is clueless when it comes to singles since 2000. Look what they've skipped:

Undivided
The Distance
I Am
I Want To Be Loved
Summertime
Any Other Day
Love's The Only Rule
This Is Love, This Is Life
I'm With You

They could have increased record sales by at least a little with any of these as singles, and brought some better attention to the band.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:47 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfan View Post
Best song on the album, ridiculously ignored. But as has been said several times, this band (or the label) is clueless when it comes to singles since 2000. Look what they've skipped:

Undivided
The Distance
I Am
I Want To Be Loved
Summertime
Any Other Day
Love's The Only Rule
I'm With You

They could have increased record sales by at least a little with any of these as singles, and brought some better attention to the band.
I agree with your statement but not necessarily all your choices.

I'm not crazy about Summertime. WGIGO would have been a decent single. It gets a great live reaction and half the people in there probably never even heard it.

I always thought Bounce would have been good although after Everyday, they needed something different.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:

Undivided
The Distance
I Am
I Want To Be Loved
Summertime
Any Other Day
Love's The Only Rule
I'm With You

They could release Stairway to Heaven and it won't matter because they are Bon Jovi. You think Summertime would have gotten positive exposure by the band? Also I want to be loved was released to rock radio and tanked.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:

Undivided
The Distance
I Am
I Want To Be Loved
Summertime
Any Other Day
Love's The Only Rule
I'm With You

Summertime got airplay on Canadian radio. Don't know why. Also, I hate that song. From a marketing standpoint it's east to see how they released Everyday and Misunderstood as singles over Undivided and The Distance regardless of perceived quality. Love's The Only Rule is probably my favorite post-2000 track but I'm not convinced it would have caught fire. Hell, I was convinced Superman Tonight would be a hit and it went nowhere. As for I'm With You, I personally think it's over rated. Mediocre track. Buffalo's Star 102.5, pop station, actually plays/played Because We Can and What About Now quite frequently in their rotation.

Tags
i'm with you