Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

What Is Your First Bon Jovi Memory?

General BJ Discussion

Old 05-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Send a message via Yahoo to Ireland
Default What Is Your First Bon Jovi Memory?

I was 5 when Living on a Prayer came out. I distinctly remember that my babysitter's son, who was 16, was obsessed with SWW, and used to play Prayer over and over. He even had the Jon Bon Jovi mall hair, and had a strobe light and drum set in the basement. All of us kids used to go down to the basement and dance to Prayer in the strobe light while the son pretended he was Jon. It is funny to think about now.

That was really the only rock song that I remember listening to in the 80's. I didn't start paying attention to the radio until the early 90's...so when Always came out, I fell in love with Bon Jovi all over again. But I will never forget my first Bon Jovi memory!

Old 05-10-2006, 03:42 AM
Jovi Addict

Good Topic, Ireland

My first Bon Jovi memory is "It's My Life". I was 10 when it came out and was introduced to Bon Jovi through my dad. My first lasting Bon Jovi memory was Bounce, I fell in love with it when it came out, most of the songs remind me of somebody I really like, someone really special to me, so I really hate it when people put down that album, it's the album that made Bon Jovi my favorite band.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

I've told this story a few times here. My (then) young teenaged son was blasting Lay Your Hands on Me out of his bedroom right after New Jersey came out. I asked him what he was playing because I loved it and the rest is history. I'm not sure he ever got his disc back LOL.

Kathleen

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via AIM to Adam D

My first Jovi memory is seeing the Born To Be My Baby video on MTV every night when I was 5 years old. My parents and my younger sister and I would watch the countdown every night and dance around the house. I heard the song and just loved it. It was really catchy with the "nanana's" and I had a grade school crush at the time that I would sing the song to on the bus every day along with I'll Be There For You and others. We just recently got back in contact with each other and she still remembers everything suprisingly. A hopless romantic at a very young age, I know. lol

I borrowed my parents NJ cassette after that and wore it out. I used to put on "concerts" in my room and when Jon would come up from under the stage to start LYHOM I would jump out of the closet and act out all the moves. The rest, as they say, is history. I got my own copy of SWW next and heard Prayer and now 18 years later, I've become a bigger fan than both my parents.

According to my mom, the Prayer video was on when I took my first steps at age three so I was destined to be a huge fan. I have Cerebral Palsy, luckily a very mild case, and didn't walk till I was three and a half. I don't mean for this to get all personal but the doctors said I would never be able to walk so it's only fitting that a song about triumphing over insermountable odds was on when I finally did. It has been my favorite song ever since I got that copy of SWW and it's still my personal theme song for every challenge I face.

Sorry that this was so long, the question just got me thinking. Great thread!!!!
Slippery When Wet
The Circle
Crush
Have A Nice Day
Lost Highway
What About Now
Bounce
7800 Fahrenheit
Bon Jovi

"Each song played was just another example of how ingenious these guys are at writing choruses that make you feel like there’s a big game tomorrow, that you’re the underdog, and that you’re going to win."

Last edited by Adam D; 05-10-2006 at 07:00 PM..
Old 05-10-2006, 05:10 AM
Jovi FANatic

Very first memory was seeing Bon Jovi on TV, when they played It's My life at the Salt Lake City Olympics. I sort of forgot about Bon Jovi until I heard that song again on a compilation disk that I had. It was on repeat all the time after that . That led me to buy JBJ's Blaze Of Glory, then all the other CDs.
April 24th, 2009 at The Joint, Las Vegas, Nevada
February 20th, 2010, Key Arena, Seattle, Washington
March 6th, 2010 at MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada
March 25th, 2011 at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
March 26th, 2011 at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
October 2nd, 2013 at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
Old 05-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Send a message via Yahoo to Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJEveryday
My first Jovi memory is seeing the Born To Be My Baby video on MTV every night when I was 5 years old. My parents and my younger sister and I would watch the countdown every night and dance around the house. I heard the song and just loved it. It was really catchy with the "nanana's" and I had a grade school crush at the time that I would sing the song to on the bus every day along with I'll Be There For You and others. A hopless romantic at a very young age, I know. lol

I borrowed my parents NJ cassette after that and wore it out. I used to put on "concerts" in my room and when Jon would come up from under the stage to start LYHOM I would jump out of the closet and act out all the moves. The rest, as they say, is history. I got my own copy of SWW next and heard Prayer and now 18 years later, I've become a bigger fan than both my parents.

According to my mom, the Prayer video was on when I took my first steps at age three so I was destined to be a huge fan. I have Cerebral Palsy, luckily a very mild case, and didn't walk till I was three and a half. I don't mean for this to get all personal but the doctors said I would never be able to walk so it's only fitting that a song about triumphing over insermountable odds was on when I finally did. It has been my favorite song ever since I got that copy of SWW and it's still my personal theme song for every challenge I face.

Sorry that this was so long, the question just got me thinking. Great thread!!!!
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing...everybody!
Old 05-10-2006, 05:42 AM
Jovi Geek

Getting dragged by my brother in the summer of 1985 to the Lloyd Noble Center in OKC, OK to see Ratt and some opening band that he loved called, Bon Jovi, lol! I remember going, "okay Ratt and who?????". Bon Jovi blew Ratt away. We didn't even stay for Ratt. I was hooked after that night.

deb
Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Livin' on a Post

When I was 11 or 12, my favourite movie was Young Guns - I used to watch that, Robocop and The Lost Boys over and over......I remember one saturday morning watching a Pop music show on T.V and the video for Blaze Of Glory came on....I almost shit myself!!! Not only did I love the song, but that was when I found out that they'd made Young Guns 2!!!
I went and got the Blaze of Glory album and it was the greatest thing I'd ever heard....at that point, I was into INXS and, dare I say, Roxette!

Next week at school I was talking about it...and this kid called Simon turned out to be a fan of the band - he loaned me New Jersey and Slippery, aswell as Aerosmiths 'Pump' - thats when everything changed!!

I had my first can of budweiser soon after....
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Just posting

5th grade - 1986.

I was on the school bus for a class field trip. I hadn't even heard of Bon Jovi. However, I'd say 90% of the kids on the bus, had their Sony walkman and were listening to Slippery When Wet. They finally convinced the bus driver to put it in the cassette deck on the bus.

So yeah - I jumped on the Slippery bandwagon. Just never jumped off.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfan
5th grade - 1986.

I was on the school bus for a class field trip. I hadn't even heard of Bon Jovi. However, I'd say 90% of the kids on the bus, had their Sony walkman and were listening to Slippery When Wet. They finally convinced the bus driver to put it in the cassette deck on the bus.

So yeah - I jumped on the Slippery bandwagon. Just never jumped off.
Bet your teachers were thrilled when the beginning of Social Disease came on ...

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!