View Single Post

Old 04-16-2020, 12:34 PM
Posting everyday

I remember having read these names on fan sites as far back as 15 years ago, I think the credits were either listed on the single or on one of releases (Japanese?), but the info about these two co-writers has been on the web for a long time. And even if they weren't listed on the album, it still seems like another spin on the Max Martin story.

I think, at that point, Jon and Richie had both lost the feeling for delivering a hit single and the record company had lost faith in them after both solo releases didn't really set the world on fire, especially in the US. Yeah, DA was successful in the UK and Germany, but in that era, Bon Jovi were at their absolute peak here and Jon was in the position to release almost anything and have it position itself well in the charts. And it taking on that Britpop feel helped as well. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love that record, but the record company wanted either big ballads or extremly catchy pop-rock material to make the comeback happen.
So it seems very likely that they either teamed up Jon and Richie with successful pop song writers or had these writers send songs to the band to give them a bit of their own spin.
All the singles to follow up until Who Says were somewhere in that beaten pattern - Everyday and Have A Nice Day rehashed the IML theme and structure, All About Lovin' You was once again forced onto the album by the record company.
It's also obvious if Jon was proud of a song or not when looking at the setlists. In Europe, TYFLM was only played every 3rd of 4th night which was already odd given that the band's lead ballads were basically played every night night on their respective tours at first: Silent Night, Never Say Goodbye, IBTFY/Living In Sin, Bed Of Roses, Always, TAALS...
It showed up for a consecutive string of dates in late November in the US because that's when the single had just gotten released. After Japan 2001, the song wasn't to return at all on the tour anymore whereas even other album cuts such as Say It Isn't So, Two Story Town or Mystery Train still made the occasional appearance in 2001.