View Single Post

Old 04-17-2020, 04:34 PM
The Distance

I'm going to take this back a few steps.

There was a small window during late 99 / early 00 that was the perfect US market for the band to reenter.

Alternate Music was done! Boy Bands, Britney and all her clones, Ricky Martin and Jennifer Lopez, etc were ruling the charts. It was becoming a modern day 80s again. Bon Jovi were the perfect Rock Band to fully round it off.

We've all heard the Sex Sells listening party and we've all heard most of those finished songs on the box set and other releases. As a fan, I like them all but there is no big radio hit in there.

I really believe they tried to rewrite Always with Save The World. It's the same progression. It was written for Armageddon and lost to Aerosmith so they handed over Mr Big Time instead and saved it for their own album.

Real Life for Ed TV fell off the charts quick and did nothing to help expose the band.

When Jon was involved with his movies and experimenting with different British sounds during the DA period, he got a little lost with the times and needed some guidance.

The record company went all in. They got a ton of Radio and MTV/VH1 air time, they got Max Martin in to make sure the sound was right with IML, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Meet Joe Black was released in November of 1998 so TYFLM definitely wasn't written in time for the Sex Sells Solo Album.

I do believe Jon stole the title from that movie like he said in that track by track Crush interview and I also think Jon solely wrote it. It's supposed to be I'll Be There For You part 2.

These 5 Words I Say To You - These 5 Words Tonight.

In short, I think it's Jon's title and Chorus. I also think he wrote the verses but when the record company picked this one as a future single, they might have had some outside writers come in to smooth out the verses so the song flowed better. And also modernize it to make sure it wasn't an 80s power ballad.

Songs like that require a powerful vocal and passion which are both missing on the Studio Track. I think that's why the song didn't do well. The song comes off better live in my opinion.

Last edited by Rdkopper; 04-17-2020 at 08:57 PM..