Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

The enigma that is Bobby Bandiera.

General BJ Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-16-2012, 03:39 AM
RSROCKS's Avatar
RSROCKS RSROCKS is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Freak
 
Join Date: 18 Jan 2006
Gender: female
Posts: 3,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Oh I'm not disagreeing his problems probably went to that point but, I'd think, 2006 was the kick-off year with the dying dad, the divorce, the broken arm, yadda yadda yadda. I don't think things were bad enough to have another guitar player for his sake. To assume they added in Bobby in 2003 to cover for Richie's "off" nights, why was Jeff there? I don't buy it.
I agree. He wasn't bad in 2003. We will never know the true reason for the hobbit but I've said it and so have many others, Bobby's vocals add/cover up a lot. I'd say Jon's voice was horrendous at times in 2003 and wasn't much better at the beginning of the Have A Nice Day tour in 2005 + 2006.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 AM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is online now
Moderator
This Post Feels Right
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 39
Gender: male
Posts: 14,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSROCKS View Post
I agree. He wasn't bad in 2003. We will never know the true reason for the hobbit but I've said it and so have many others, Bobby's vocals add/cover up a lot. I'd say Jon's voice was horrendous at times in 2003 and wasn't much better at the beginning of the Have A Nice Day tour in 2005 + 2006.
Good point. For as much as people say he was added to fill out Richie's sound, Richie was playing and singing far better than Jon was singing in that period. I think he should be used in the songs that need him, either kick up the distortion or don't bother on the big rock songs. His strength lies in the bar band songs (SWID, Saturday Night, etc) he's useless in the up-tempo rockers, his tone is terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-16-2012, 04:41 AM
Kathleen's Avatar
Kathleen Kathleen is offline
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead
 
Join Date: 05 Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Age: 75
Gender: female
Posts: 17,263
Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSROCKS View Post
Where are the NJ who are SSJ fans that can give incite on the whole Bobby thing?

Plus, I know the whole Bobby needs money for his sick son was true but was anything ever said about Bobby joining the band for this very reason or was this something people just jumped to conclusion about?
I am a big SSJ fan. I go to multiple shows a year since he plays locally a lot. I watched Bobby grow up . Bobby plays old time rock and roll - fill in riffs if you will. He is not a solo player - never was and I doubt if he ever will be. He is an excellent vocalist and that helps the Bon Jovi band, he can play decent back up guitar and he is quite good with an acoustic guitar. He is however, not Richie and he never will be.

And as for Jon employing him simply because Bobby needs the money I think that's bullshit. Jon chose Bobby for his Destination Anywhere sidekick - way before anyone knew that Bobby's son had a problem. I will stick with what I said about Bobby in the other thread here:

http://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showth...t=Bobby+family

Jon is comfortable playing and singing with people that he knows and trusts - they may not be the best musicians that money can buy but I think he values other things about them.
__________________

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Supersonic's Avatar
Supersonic Supersonic is offline
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead
 
Join Date: 03 Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Gender: male
Posts: 16,096
Send a message via MSN to Supersonic
Default

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Good point. For as much as people say he was added to fill out Richie's sound, Richie was playing and singing far better than Jon was singing in that period. I think he should be used in the songs that need him, either kick up the distortion or don't bother on the big rock songs. His strength lies in the bar band songs (SWID, Saturday Night, etc) he's useless in the up-tempo rockers, his tone is terrible.
Richie was often a bit too happy because of the booze during the Bounce tour but his playing didn't suffer because I think at that time he still knew his limits. However, the multiple layers of different guitars on the Bounce record made it obvious that Richie wasn't capable of covering them all on his own anymore, and a simple sample played by David didn't work either. As Jon opted for a fuller sound on the records they needed an extra guitar player to cover those parts on tour.

However, it's like you say, he's useless on the big rock songs. For someone who is, according to several people on here, a good rhythm player then why can't he play decent rhythm on stuff like It's My Life? It's as basic as it can get yet his tone doesn't fit in with the rest of the band, it doesn't sound like the record either so what's the point really? Anyone can strum along to Bed Of Roses or Janie, but as soon as a bit more creativity is needed for a simple song like It's My Life Bobby is lost. So why hire a guitar player that can't do the basic stuff he barely managed to do in Southside as well? There's plenty of fans that don't hear it but from a professional point of view the entire live sound has suffered from it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Jumped to conclusions hardcore. Bobby was brought on the same time Jeff was (along with Everett Bradley briefly) so to say Bobby was included just to a) pay his sons medical bills or b) be Richie's back-up/understudy in case Richie went off the rails (a full seven years before he went to rehab) IMHO are way off. Richie's playing, while getting less and less imaginative as the 2000's progressed was not THAT bad in 2003. He was still pretty together at that point.
Just because the band have never spoken about it in public doesn't mean fans jump to conclusion. Some of them have had conversations off the record with band and crew members, which is where the money story comes from. It's not some theory I made up. Jon could offer Bobby a lot more financial security than Southside could so in that light it was a good deal for Bobby. That doesn't mean he's doing it to be family to him, like Twinfan said, this is not some pizza joint. Jon doesn't do things if it doesn't make him get out of it in a better way, so what's in it for Jon?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-16-2012, 01:07 PM
peewee peewee is offline
Senior Member
Livin' on a Post
 
Join Date: 17 Nov 2002
Location: Barcelona (Spain)
Age: 38
Gender: male
Posts: 320
Send a message via MSN to peewee
Default

Am I the only one who actually likes Bobby's style?

Ok, he's not a great virtuoso but I still love the feeling, emotion and creativity he puts in just one single note. I mean, he's capable of using one note for a whole solo and make it sound so different with different techniques. I also think he has his own style. He doesn't really feel or perform to please people but he just plays the way he feels the music inside.

The "Any Other Day" solo in TLFR Dvd is a good example in my opinion.

Now you can throw the shit on me
__________________
" I don't mind if they're dead as long as they're not too cold "
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Javier's Avatar
Javier Javier is offline
Senior Member
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 22 Aug 2002
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: male
Posts: 9,614
Default

You learn something new everyday. I wasn't aware that Bobby played with the band on the Bounce tour....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Avantasian's Avatar
Avantasian Avantasian is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Addict
 
Join Date: 03 May 2005
Location: Germany
Gender: male
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
You learn something new everyday. I wasn't aware that Bobby played with the band on the Bounce tour....
He didn't. But he was with the band when the TLFR DVD was made in late 2003. Though they didn't play Any other day there. Still had to be written at that point.
__________________
... my black & whites ...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is online now
Moderator
This Post Feels Right
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 39
Gender: male
Posts: 14,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
You learn something new everyday. I wasn't aware that Bobby played with the band on the Bounce tour....
Sorry, meaning the Bounce tour was so multi-layered with guitar tracks, they added him for the following tours.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is online now
Moderator
This Post Feels Right
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 39
Gender: male
Posts: 14,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !



Richie was often a bit too happy because of the booze during the Bounce tour but his playing didn't suffer because I think at that time he still knew his limits. However, the multiple layers of different guitars on the Bounce record made it obvious that Richie wasn't capable of covering them all on his own anymore, and a simple sample played by David didn't work either. As Jon opted for a fuller sound on the records they needed an extra guitar player to cover those parts on tour.

However, it's like you say, he's useless on the big rock songs. For someone who is, according to several people on here, a good rhythm player then why can't he play decent rhythm on stuff like It's My Life? It's as basic as it can get yet his tone doesn't fit in with the rest of the band, it doesn't sound like the record either so what's the point really? Anyone can strum along to Bed Of Roses or Janie, but as soon as a bit more creativity is needed for a simple song like It's My Life Bobby is lost. So why hire a guitar player that can't do the basic stuff he barely managed to do in Southside as well? There's plenty of fans that don't hear it but from a professional point of view the entire live sound has suffered from it.




Just because the band have never spoken about it in public doesn't mean fans jump to conclusion. Some of them have had conversations off the record with band and crew members, which is where the money story comes from. It's not some theory I made up. Jon could offer Bobby a lot more financial security than Southside could so in that light it was a good deal for Bobby. That doesn't mean he's doing it to be family to him, like Twinfan said, this is not some pizza joint. Jon doesn't do things if it doesn't make him get out of it in a better way, so what's in it for Jon?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
"Jon could offer more financial security for Bobby" is a true fact and a lot better than "He's specifically in the band because of his family problems and everyone knows he sucks but that's why he's there". What's in it for Jon? The advantage of a fuller vocal sound. Regardless of some out of place tone and songs that don't need him, he STILL gives Jon some slack vocally and Richie some slack playingwise (for the few songs he's loud and clear. If his tone was better for LMS it'd be great, he really does fill out the sound on that one).

Ironically enough I've found Jon's electric guitar tone never fit them either 2000+. It was washed in chorus and sounded so tinny.

EDIT: The bit about "off the record" and "fans heard it from someone who knows the band", I don't buy. This board has a good amount of people who stir shit and make believable hoaxes due to boredom. Doesn't mean it couldn't be true though.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Johny's Avatar
Johny Johny is offline
Senior Member
Dry County
 
Join Date: 22 Jan 2005
Location: Czech Republic
Age: 36
Gender: male
Posts: 1,599
Send a message via ICQ to Johny
Default

Bobby was invited along with Jeff and Everett to play the TLFR shows which was quite a logical move back then. The songs had many instruments so they wouldn't be able to play it themselves. Maybe Jon realised that it was a good idea to add them and make the live sound fuller because they were and are producing multilayered music now. Just few thoughts...
__________________
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bobby bandiera

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.