View Single Post

Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinFan View Post
Bobby is a fine RHYTHM guitarist. Why he gets solos (while long time band members like TICO OR DAVE rarely or never get solos at all is silly to me. But you only ever hear him when he's botching solos.

Take a look at the solo during It's My Life. There's a great rhythm guitar part that really fills out the sound there. Can you hear that live, despite the fact that there's a rhythm guitarist? No. You cannot.

I don't mind Bobby being there. If he actually played rhythm guitar parts (and NO SOLOS), and you could hear his chords, then it wouldn't be bad. But he doesn't. He tries to play parts that he can't play, and they sound like crap. It compromises the sound of the band.

If anything, Jon should play electric guitar more. He's not a bad guitarist at all. He's gotten better. There's plenty of songs that he plays acoustic on (ie Born to Follow and Last Man Standing) that could benefit from another electric guitar.

I understand Jon is trying to help out Bobby, but like Seb said, just give him the money. He has the money. I understand he's trying to help out a close friend, but this isn't a family owned pizzeria or construction business. This is a PROFESSIONAL ROCK BAND.
Hey, that's the post I love. I keep saying that about IML for a long time! It isa great example where the songs could benefit from having another guitarist but they don't.

I don't call him a rhythm or back-up guitarist. After reading an interview from Berlin few years ago with David and Tico, I call Bobby a "sound-filler". He fills the sound so David doesn't need to play that many samples and loops - stuff needed almost only after 2000 when they for some reason are rarely able to write a rock song based on four or five instruments

I also agree about Born To Follow and Last Man Standing. There are probably others.. If Jon wants to play a guitar then he should grab his beautiful new vinatage Les Paul and rip it. An acoustic doesn't make sense here.

About Bobby needing money. That's fine if Jon wants to help him but why to destroy your own band with it? If Alec was sacked because of his crappy playing why is Bobby still here? That's too charitable. If Jon want to help Bobby earn money for his son, they should do an annual show (maybe Christmas) with Jon solo plus Bobby and many other musicians or even a BJ how with Bobby as a guest. I think nobody could say a word against such help. And I think they'd get more money than Bobby is payed (even if I don't know how much he is played).
So there is probably something else why he is still with the band. Be it as a substitute if Richie can't play.. maybe. The vocals - I was pissed when Bobby sang Drift Away instead of Jon+Richie back in Germany 2008. Still, vocals couldn't be reason for keeping a crappy guitarist. They should turn up David's mic, he is singing his lungs out but couldn't be heard
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights