Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The "Screw what other people think" thread

General BJ Discussion

Old 05-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Suddenly

Being only 22 and only seen the band live since the HAND tour until the present, my views are a little bit different I would expect, so here is a college kids version of this:

-Burning Bridges (and We Don't Run in particular) is some of the best stuff since Crush and some HAND songs (HAND, I want to be loved). Fingerprints is absolutely magnificent.

-I HATE Lost Highway, Who Says is an automatic piss break at a concert and Memory is a beautiful song, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

-I will only listen to Keep the Faith if it is live

-Bounce is the only decent song off the album

-I skip Wanted more than I listen to it

-Phil X has filled in for Richie excellently and even added a more "rocker" edge to the band. His solos are spot on and the guy just loves being on stage and has a blast. For some reason the band in the short Asia tour seemed more like a "band" than they have in a long time, everyone was having fun.

-I know Jon's voice is pretty horrendous right now, but I will still go and be excited to see the band live. Jon's Nashville and Dallas acoustic shows give me hope that he can be decent again and maybe why the tour got pushed back from possibly this summer to next feb.
Columbus-Nationwide Arena 2011
Cleveland-Quicken Loans Arena 2013
Cleveland-First Energy Stadium 2013
Detroit-Ford Field 2013

Old 05-06-2016, 12:52 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf921 View Post
Being only 22 and only seen the band live since the HAND tour until the present, my views are a little bit different I would expect, so here is a college kids version of this:

-Burning Bridges (and We Don't Run in particular) is some of the best stuff since Crush and some HAND songs (HAND, I want to be loved). Fingerprints is absolutely magnificent.

-I HATE Lost Highway, Who Says is an automatic piss break at a concert and Memory is a beautiful song, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

-I will only listen to Keep the Faith if it is live

-Bounce is the only decent song off the album

-I skip Wanted more than I listen to it

-Phil X has filled in for Richie excellently and even added a more "rocker" edge to the band. His solos are spot on and the guy just loves being on stage and has a blast. For some reason the band in the short Asia tour seemed more like a "band" than they have in a long time, everyone was having fun.

-I know Jon's voice is pretty horrendous right now, but I will still go and be excited to see the band live. Jon's Nashville and Dallas acoustic shows give me hope that he can be decent again and maybe why the tour got pushed back from possibly this summer to next feb.
Who Says You Can't Go Home wasn't on Lost Highway.

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 05-09-2016, 08:45 AM
Born to be my Baby

I totally forgot about TLFR. It's definitely a cool album, it's very interesting to see how they can turn a cheesy song like Bad Medicine into a sensual acoustic one.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

I don't understand the deep-seated hatred for Work For The Working Man. I totally understand if you don't like the actual song, as in it sounds bad to your ears. But I find a lot of fans think it to be some kind of personal attack on them and their life experience. There's seems to be a perception that, unless you've had to endure something your entire life, you can't sing about it. And I tend to believe that, though Jon is a filthy-rich (rock?)star, he's contributed enough money into assisting, and enough time and effort into mixing with the disadvantaged to at least have gained enough insight into their lives to enable him to write a 4 minute song.

Springsteen can get away with it, so why can't Jon? I suppose it comes down to his good looks, suits, and political sensibilities again.

Also, I quite enjoy the song - at least it has a little groove and roughness to it.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSantaFe View Post
I don't understand the deep-seated hatred for Work For The Working Man. I totally understand if you don't like the actual song, as in it sounds bad to your ears. But I find a lot of fans think it to be some kind of personal attack on them and their life experience. There's seems to be a perception that, unless you've had to endure something your entire life, you can't sing about it. And I tend to believe that, though Jon is a filthy-rich (rock?)star, he's contributed enough money into assisting, and enough time and effort into mixing with the disadvantaged to at least have gained enough insight into their lives to enable him to write a 4 minute song.

Springsteen can get away with it, so why can't Jon? I suppose it comes down to his good looks, suits, and political sensibilities again.

Also, I quite enjoy the song - at least it has a little groove and roughness to it.
The groove probably stems from the recycled Livin' On A Prayer bass line, but otherwise: agreed I especially like the "These were my ..." part and how it builds up. Yes, and I *do* like the choreography they did live on that. All in all, it's a good track, just not a great one.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Posting everyday

I think a lot of the hate stems from Jon doing this song and at the same time setting horrendous ticket prices for the O2 run in 2010. I remember that it was right after my graduation and I wanted to spend a weekend there and see one or two shows, but couldn't afford it due to this.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:43 AM
The Distance

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll just post this here...

To date I've never heard Because We Can on the radio here in the US but I just heard it today at The Home Depot while shopping. It must be included on their store made mix (another outlet for musicians is to allow their music to be included on specifically made store mixes, generally larger retail chains).

Anyway, it really sounded great. I know the song is 3 years old at this point but it still sounded fresh and modern but yet totally Bon Jovi... I didn't have that sense of overproduction or all the stuff we complain about. Just that classic Jovi song. In another few years when the next Greatest Hits CD comes out, it will blend nicely with the classics (along with We Don't Run). Sometimes it's nice to hear a song from a far to get a different prospective.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

I think Jon hates his fans. I think he would trade his fans for critical acclaim, but twenty-thirty years ago it would have been the reverse, fans before acclaim. It sums up his career in a way, Jon has always struck me as an "artist" who does not know who he wants to be.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Jovi Addict

My entry for "Screw what other people think" and to be more precise, Screw what Richie thinks.

How on earth he didn't include Our secret place in Afternath? Listen to it, just listen! (time in 1:00)
I still hope for a leak, or even better use it in the new album!
https://youtu.be/xjcbiB-iqiI?t=1m
Hit the sunrise, scared the daylight out of me...
Old 05-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's my faith View Post
My entry for "Screw what other people think" and to be more precise, Screw what Richie thinks.

How on earth he didn't include Our secret place in Afternath? Listen to it, just listen! (time in 1:00)
I still hope for a leak, or even better use it in the new album!
https://youtu.be/xjcbiB-iqiI?t=1m
because good decisions, just like jon decides to not include like Into The Echo on the album but for some reason includes a shitty song like Pictures Of You