Thread: These Days 2LP
View Single Post

Old 02-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
It isn't physically possible for the sound quality of a vinyl to be better than a CD. The thing is, most people who love vinyl have much better sound systems they listen to vinyl through and they think the difference is in the medium. Any medium can be ruined by mastering everything flat, but a well mastered CD sounds a lot better than vinyl. It's just a physical fact, a needle scraping plastic cannot be better than digitally exact copy.

Ice
I get your point, but talking pure acoustics here, it is a matter of a fact that vinyl IS better than a CD when you're talking sound quality. CD's came around with the intent of compression because its a massive space saver. Thats a given. mp3's later with even more compression etc. But for the purists i can totally understand why vinyl is the preferred choice. Vinyl has twice the frequency range of a CD so obviously there is a lot more scope in the mix. Its just a pure cost saving and space saving measure for the record companies to mass churn albums out to the people for no cost at all. Look at the evolution - VINYL, CASSETTE, MINI DISK, MP3.

Look at the movie world - BETAMAX, VHS, DVD and now streaming online is the way people are turning to.

I dont necessarily agree with the evolution - as the record companies have sold their souls to the devil. But from a pure business and money making point of view it is pure economics. But a matter of pure sound quality, sorry Iceman. Vinyl is FAR superior sound quality to any other medium out there. No compression means nothing is lost.