Thread: These Days 2LP
View Single Post

Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 AM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolai View Post
Icemoron - I feel sorry for your "students" if you've been teaching them fundamental basics this badly. Your original argument about CD sounding better than vinyl is WRONG.
Wow, resorting to name calling. You must really be out of arguments. And no, I'm not wrong, you are. There's this thing called "physics", maybe you've heard of it. It says I'm right and you're wrong. There is not even a slightest chance you could be right, it's so cut and dried.

Quote:
You are a proper retard, mate.
And again? No, I'm not, but you seem to be.

Quote:
You claim to be such a fundamental expert in sound engineering
No, I don't. I'm not an expert, but I did quote you many. Too bad you didn't read them. Could've saved you the embarressement.

Quote:
(whereas I dont - as I clearly have gotten compression mixed up - granted).
So, you WERE WRONG! This whole discussion is about which has more dynamic range, which is more capable of producing the sound recorded. And that is the CD. Like I said WAAAAAYYY back when you started this idiocy, it's up to the individual to like something better than the other. Some people prefer vinyl, because it has less high end and less low end. But it doesn't make it better. You kept on insisting (and YOU WERE WRONG!!!) that "vinyl has no compression" and that "vinyl is better" and how I was wrong, but in fact, all that time you were COMPLETELY and UTTERLY WRONG ON ALL ACCOUNTS! So, there, who's retarded moron now?

Quote:
Lets steer it back to your original idiotic arguments. How the hell can you claim that CD is better than vinyl in sound quality.
Because it is. There is no way vinyl can reproduce the sounds CD is capable of. No way. It isn't possible.

That's bullshit. Which you would know if you'd read the links I've posted, as one of them directly addressed that page as being wrong on at least six accounts.

I suggest you read up on Nyquist-Shannon theorem, keeping in mind that the human ear can only hear up to about 20hHz, and the CD sample rate is 44.1kHz. Also, remember that vinyl's dynamic range = 80dB, CD's 150dB.

Also, CD has more low end than vinyl. Vinyl has a physical limit (meaning the groove can not be any deeper) at about 35Hz, but the CD goes down to 10Hz, even a little lower. Vinyl could, in theory, reproduce higher sounds than a CD, but rarely can it be used because of harmonic distortion, and why bother, as no one would hear it anyway. A CD can reproduce frequencies up to 22kHz, which is above human hearing anyway.

Quote:
This is put into VERY BASIC form so fraud teachers like yourself can understand. Then you can give the kids their money back.
Very basic, and very wrong. The first problem is that it states that vinyl has "unlimited" resolution. It doesn't. It's actually very limited. Like I've told you before, when it comes to dynamics, vinyl has bout 80dB of room. CD has a good 90dB MORE room. And not to mention the frequency range, in which the CD is much better. Believing that page is like saying that the early cartoons with 12 frames per second are better than the HDR 60 fps. You can like the older one, but it doesn't make it technically better.

And I didn't teach kids, they were adults.

Quote:
EDIT: And to note - I tell you what - because I'm nice like that I will let you have the final say. Dont hold back
Don't know if this was aimed at Seb or not, but I don't have to. You already made an ass out of yourself by arguing about "facts" you got wrong. "WAV file is compressed", "vinyl has no compression", "CD's came around with the intent of compression because its a massive space saver", etc. etc. etc.

I know, I, too, would be embarrassed if I'd spewn that sort of bullshit, but luckily, it was you.

Let's see what you REALLY know. Name one, just ONE, measurable, technically proven way in which vinyl is better than a CD. Just one.

Oh, and do remember, that practically ALL the music put on vinyl since the late 80's has been digitized before pressing it on the vinyl. So, even if vinyl reproduced the sound perfectly (which it clearly doesn't, like I've shown many, many time above), it would still only be as good as a CD (which it isn't, like I've blah blah blah).

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.