Thread: These Days
View Single Post

Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Ah f*ck it, there you all go again writing about what is the best piece of musical history ever created.
To this day I remember vividly that June morning in 1995 I went into town and picked up this album on the day of release. A couple of months prior "Good Guys.." had been playing a lot on the "Dial MTV show" followed by TAALS and I was majorly impressed. Already had my tickets for the -95 shows at home, just didn't have the album. Immediately upon coming home I put the CD in the stereo, sat down and pushed 'play'. I let the entire album play through, following along in the lyrics. After it had finished I remember sitting there going "well, that was..... different...". Went outside, took out the lawnmowler and cut the grass. Got back in, gave the CD another spin and parts of it started to stick. For me it was such a different album, lyrically and musically from anything they had previously done. It was something new, it was a different Bon Jovi. It was something else, something more and evolved, than what I fell in love with back in -92. Over the following weeks it grew into a masterpiece, just every single part of it.
There are few albums that can stand the test of time and I still can listen to from cover to cover and just go "this is f*cking brilliant" each and every time. I can honestly only think of three such albums; Def Leppard's "Slang", "Keep The Faith" and "These Days" by Bon Jovi. But nothing can ever top the magic that is "These Days". It's just stands on its own. It's pure musical magic in its most honest way.

That's why I'm now, more than 15 years later down the road, is lying in a hospital bed with my hospitalized son next to me listening to this brilliant album with headphones. Currently on "This Ain't A Love Song", many masterpieces to go..

Good night.

Oh, and please play "Something To Believe In" in Munich 2011. A grown man would most likely pee in his pants and be happy about it.