Thread: These Days
View Single Post

Old 07-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
Without doubt it’s one of their best. But I didn’t think that when released. I was 20 when it came out and I remember running down shop and getting Cd, sticking it on and was like..WTF have they done. I was so disappointed. Probably because I was listening to a lot of Pantera, White Zombie in 95 and Skid Rows Subhuman Race was heavier as well.
I remember loving hey god then it was followed by the poppy SFTP, then a ballad, the title track was slowish and then lie to me (which I used to hate) was another slow one. Damned picked it up then guitar lies bleeding was another slow one. It just didn’t get going like previous albums. It just seemed slow and dull to me.
But...as I’ve got older I really started to appreciate this album more now I’ve loved and lost, hit the bottom and them come up again I feel I can relate to the album 100% more.
It’s a grower over time for me as the last 10 years Ive really started to appreciate the album.
The b-sides at that time were great as well.
As I said ld lose diamond ring and replace with wedding day and although I can listen to SFTP I’d have preferred Prostitute or When she comes but it’s their last great album. Everything after has been hit and miss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fair enough, but I wouldn't be running to the record store to buy a Bon Jovi album using Pantera and White Zombie leading my expectations. I mean, you had Keep the Faith and the Cross Road songs. What made you think These Days would not continue in that general direction? What made you think it would be heavy?

I was 14 at the time and have always listened to heavier music. Even then These Days was something rare. It was the one Bon Jovi album I could play for my friends (whether they were cruising on Metallica, Oasis, or the Spice Girls) and if they really listened to it they could not deny it was an awesome record.