View Single Post

Old 10-13-2018, 03:06 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
I actually enjoyed Working Man when I first heard it on the album. The chorus has a punch than most of their other recent 'anthems' lack. And the opening Prayer-esque bass line was a nice touch I thought.

Live-wise, however, I felt it really suffered from dropping of the key. Transposing the key to make it easier a sing should be an exception not the rule, but Jon had developed a habit of doing it for every song, even those that would've been perfectly manageable in original tuning. I have no doubt that Circle-era Jon would've sounded just fine on it.

The choreography did not bother me actually, I always prefer some choreography than no choreography
IMO, There are three main things that make or break a standard song... The Vocals, The Chorus, The Arrangement.

I think any song can be great if it contains a strong V C A.

Working Man lacks a solid chorus to start... It's the song that goes nowhere. Second, a solid singer could have brought that chorus up an octave and turned it into something... If you give someone like Adele or Lady Gaga the blue print to that song, they could blast that 'Working Mannnnnn' off... All you hear is Jon's flat 'Working Meeeeeen' which just breaks the song...

This has been the problem with most current songs and albums... Example: Lay Your Hands On Me is a top ten Bon Jovi song... The TLFR version is unlistenable... Why, it's the same song? Lack of vocal range and boring arrangement.

I've said multiple times in multiple posts that we are getting the TLFR versions of songs that might have been great if they were sung, arranged, and produced in the 80s and 90s... and I think all it takes is for Jon to spend a little more time in the studio to fix that.

I know Jon said that the vocals are the last thing he does and is worried about when he's in the studio... And there was a time when the vocals might have been the easiest part of the song... Jon had screams, rasps, passion, range like no other... He could throw those vocals down in one take and then have his engineer make some adjustments...Poof, instant perfection!!! That's all gone now... Sure, he sounds decent on albums now but it's just a TLFR vocal which is killing his current music..

Who Would You Die For is another example of how Jon can still deliver a great vocal... the 'I wanna know' rasp is a little taste of an old school Jon and something we all miss...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk