View Single Post

Old 10-13-2018, 03:40 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
This is an interesting point I'm trying to understand. I don't think it's a habit of doing it if it makes sense. Don't most bands who tune down half a step do it for the entirety of the show? Otherwise you're dealing with multiple guitar changes. Jon's voice couldn't handle an entire show in standard tuning and if half a step keeps him going, more power to it. Wouldn't be shocked if he pulled a Paul Stanley and went to D.
From my experience of watching live shows, most bands either sing everything in original key or, most often, only tune down the songs that are most difficult to sing and sing most of the set in original key (Maroon 5, Adele, Bruce Springsteen, The Script, Metallica, Paul McCartney, Beyonce, Bryan Adams, Paramore, and many others). I don’t think for artists at this level it’s an issue to often switch instruments between songs given how large their touring crews are. Really, the only bands I know that do for (almost) the entire show are Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Scorpions. Yet for some weird reason, Jon always plays We Got It Goin On, Any Other Day, I’m With You and perhaps a couple of others in original key as an exception.

I understand why Jon does it generally. If anything, maybe he should take it down another half step now. My point was that Working Man could’ve been one of those exceptions because Jon would’ve been easily able to pull it off.