View Single Post

Old 10-13-2018, 05:28 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
From my experience of watching live shows, most bands either sing everything in original key or, most often, only tune down the songs that are most difficult to sing and sing most of the set in original key (Maroon 5, Adele, Bruce Springsteen, The Script, Metallica, Paul McCartney, Beyonce, Bryan Adams, Paramore, and many others). I don’t think for artists at this level it’s an issue to often switch instruments between songs given how large their touring crews are. Really, the only bands I know that do for (almost) the entire show are Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Scorpions. Yet for some weird reason, Jon always plays We Got It Goin On, Any Other Day, I’m With You and perhaps a couple of others in original key as an exception.

I understand why Jon does it generally. If anything, maybe he should take it down another half step now. My point was that Working Man could’ve been one of those exceptions because Jon would’ve been easily able to pull it off.
Gotcha. I think we've kind of had a discussion like this but I'm not sure who with. Is it possible those songs were recorded half a step down and no further changes were needed when played live? I'm With You for example starts with an Em chord and on both the studio and live versions you can hear that low E string. It would stand to reason they're not making exceptions live, they're making exceptions in the studio and keeping everything half a step down (minus a few of the new songs that go a full step below) live?

I think you're right, I may be wrong about bands tuning down half a step the entire show that might not be the norm. There a few Canadian bands that I know tune down for the length of the show but I'd have to look into it more.