View Single Post

Old 02-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljovi93 View Post
For me, over the past few years, it's the lack of outros on studio albums that they play on live shows.

These songs could have been even better in the studio if they had some extended outros like the live performances. I love the surprise element of the live shows when we get outros but even if only half of these songs had extended outros, it would make things a bit better from a studio point of view. It just shows the lack of imagination and creativity from the band when they release a new album. They either 1) Can't be assed or 2) Think to themselves they will throw outros on live shows instead.
Yep, that was my point as well.
I think its gotta do with Jon's stranglehold on the creativity, he probably views the extended outros as just something to dance on stage during liveshows [reminds me of Live in London DVD where he went absolutely bananas on "Always"] or to engage the crowd with dual guitar moves ["Saturday Night", "Thorn"] or even to show his command over the well oiled machinery that the band is via timed hand movements ala music directors ["Keep the Faith"]. Maybe it was Richie/band being lazy at being assertive during the recordings. How awesome a song is "Flesh & Bone" with the amazing outro or the live version of "Any other day" with an extra Richie solo at the end. Contrast them with "Its my Life" where the repeated final chorus becomes a bit tedious to listen to.