View Single Post

Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Tokyo Road

It was kinda a brave move, and possibly would have come off A LOT better if they'd taken more than like 3 weeks to record it or whatever it was. It really shows ... too many of the songs are simply slowed songs with the same lyrics as the original songs, they're neither exciting experiments or looking at the songs in a brand new light.

As a whole, it's listenable, but it'll never stand up as one of the better things they've ever done. Actually, a lot of the songs are not too bad, but they are NOT Bon Jovi, and I think that's the problem most people have. That and, as I said, it's so obviously rushed ... stretching a few good ideas out across a whole album is never a good idea. And of course, I prefer none of the new songs to the originals (although a couple ... It's My Life, Everyday, and depending on my mood, Bad Medicine, come close), but then I don't think that was the point of it anways

I like:

Wanted
Bad Name
It's My Life
Born To Be My Baby
Everyday
Always

All of the above are songs which, IMO, validly present the song in a different light, and sound good to boot. Songs that try something new, but sound a bit iffy are, IMO:

I'll Be There For You
Lay Your Hands On Me

Conversely, Bad Medicine, isn't particularly ambitious, but still sounds good to me, mainly because of the way Jon contrasts the loud and quiet lines so well.

Then the songs that don't really add anything are Keep The Faith and Bed Of Roses. Prayer is alright, would be much better with someone else singing instead of Olivia D'abo. But then I suppose we've already got Prayer '94 for that.

So to conclude .... I dunno. Part of me would have preffered a straight up live acoustic CD ... the two bonus tracks, as well as the footage from the AOL sessions shows how good that would have been. But then, we never would have heard these songs, which some of us like some of. And I wouldn't have heard any version of Always until a couple of weeks ago But on the other other hand, US audiences wouldn't have had to hear the slightly less than good versions of IBTFY and BOR, although it seems they may have FINALLY stopped playing songs from it. I actually have no idea what point I'm trying to make, so I possibly should wrap this up now

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!

Last edited by Captain Walrus; 07-08-2008 at 01:35 AM..