6pt] If That's What It Takes
5pt] Hearts Breaking Even
4pt] It's Hard Letting You Go
3pt] Bitter Wine
2pt] Diamond Ring
1pt] Lie To Me

Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Keep the Faith

Wow since we have all these threads with voteing I've liestened all albums from start to end before I put my points but not with this one. I tried make it 5 times but I can't. I even skipped some songs before end. Why? I will answer later.

But let's start with voting:
Masterpieces/Very Good Songs:
14) Hearts Breaking Even - This song don't fit on this album. It's too optimistic on this depressing album. I hear that Jon was smilling singing thats song. In other songs I hear pain, angry in his voice. Of course lyrics in 99% are about broken love, leaving, crying, loneliness ecc but guitar work, Jons powerfull vocals and main lyrics "I'm paying the price again But I'll see the light again" are optimistic. For me it's main reason why this songs has so low points here. Probably only one song which I can listen from start to end more than 1-2 times at this time of my life.

13) These Days - Great pessimist description of this world. Lyrics sometimes annoy me. "Singing old songs about change" -> I rather prefere "Don't sing songs about change go out from room and make changes happen"

12) Something To Believe In - Preatty awsome song. Musically and lyrically it has magic. It think it's great song for peolpe who are broken and try to find their place on this world. Awesome Jons scream at the end.

11) My Guitar Lies BIMArms - Another musically and lyrically masterpiece. Great Jons voice.

10) Hey God - One of their greatest hard song. With Undivided, IIWYMother my favourite their hard rock song.

09) TAALSong - good love ballad. Little too sweet.

Really good for bad days:
0 Lie To Me - I love part "When this cold world comes between us Please tell me you'll be brave". Great ballad.
07) It's Hard LEtting You Go - Too POP sound for me but there are some good parts.
06) Diamond RIng - relaxing song.

Boring, only some parts of songs are good:
02) SFTPain - there are days when I hate that song. It could be great song with differend chorus. I always didn't liked chorus from this one.

01) Bitter Wine - I don't get how in some part Jon sound so perfect - "Love left me stranded at the station,and the last trains gone by, " but in other part he sound so awful and gay - "rather go blind i thought i saw a future but the fortune teller lied.". Also little too boring.

00) If That's What It Takes - they should cut part "So, when you feel like jumping / Just when your heart starts pumping / When you're stading out on that ledge-staring over the edge" and make full song in thats style. It sound so... hmm... Indie Rock? This part it's really weird. This sound would be really s*itty without this part but I love this few lines.

00) Damned - original sound. Nothing spectacular.

00) AIWIEverything - very boring.

Good side of TDays:
- It's probably their biggest musically and lyrically masterpiece. We have great guitar work, grat Jons vocals, drums, keybords ecc.
- Lyrics have some great lines.
_ Production is quite good. Every instruments is hearing well.
- This album has some really beautiful moments

So now bad side of TDays:
- With KTF their most Overrated album on this board (critics didn't see what many fans here see on this album)
- Songs and production makes that some songs sound almost the same.
- Songs like Bitter Wine, Diamond Ring or AIWIEverything are boring.
- I always interpretate lyrics were written for people who lost their faith, who don't believe in themselvs, who are complaing on everything, who think that world is bad place to live or for people who want to make suicide. I don't identifying with lyrics like "If you don't love me lie to me" because I don't wanna live with girl who don't love me, cheat on me ecc. These are preatty awfull lyrics for me. Maybe another interpretation can make this lyrics sound better.
- Lyrically this album is dark. It's hard to listen when you are happy. When you don't complain on everything (God, Weather, People) because you don't have something. If you are live in world which seems to be great place with fantastic people around you, love and chances which you see everywhere. If you are person who fight for better live, who accept wrong situation it's really hard to identyfy and listen.
- Some songs are boring, too sad, too many complaying on everything, for dreamers who don't do anything but complain.
- Jon telling us stories like pessimist person.

Half These days album is near to masterpieces. Half is boring. Lyrics sometimes are beautifull but sometimes are really depressing.

People like me can't identify almost all of them. There was time in my life when world was bad place to me, when I wasn't so strong and had seen only bad things in everyone but not in my decisions, thinking ecc. At that time TDays was my nr#1. After 2-3 years NJersey and HAND get to nr#1 and TD go down to 3rd place. Now when I tried to listen it again I think it's go down again behind Crush and The Circle. So looking at this album overall I think it's one of Bon Jovi best album (in some categories it's their best CD) . Crush, NJersey, Circle, KTFaith, SWW, HAND and TDays are their best albums and everyone in some categories is their best. But at this moment of my life this is not album for me. Now I can identifying with songs with slogans like "live my life", "when the world gets in my face i say HAND" or "We Got It Going On". Lyrics like "Hey God...Do you ever think about me", "Loneliness has found a home in me ", "Singing old songs about change", "If you don't love me - lie to me ", "I can't sing no song of hope, I got nothing to say ", are too depressing and annoying for me. Todays world is fast and it can kick your ass everyday but when you have bad day you can start complain, tell everyone how world is cruel to you, watch tv ecc (These Days way of thinking) or you can say "Have A Nice Day" and do what you want to do even when things go really, really wrong. Probably thats is main reason why I love their post 2000 albums more than before 2000 even if I can agree that TDays in some ways is their masterpiece.

I think that for Jon it's really hard to sing so depressing songs in his point of life. And I don't want another These Days album now and I hope their next album will be optimistic and full of energy.

That's all.

Last edited by BonJovi100; 08-12-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Old 08-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Dry County

That's quite a review you wrote there!
I don't agree with everything you said but that's the great thing about personal taste and opinions. Nice to read your arguements though!

I salute you,
TS
Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Jovi Freak

JOVITALK TRACK RANKINGS 2012 RESULTS

THESE DAYS

With another unforseen delay (my brand new computer's SSD malfunctioned x_x), the results for These Days are finally here! A record 42 people voted for the tracks on These Days - an album which was voted the best Jovi album in 2008 and the second best in 2012. Here is how you voted...

~

#14. Bitter Wine
[134 Points]

We begin in 14th place with Bitter Wine. Not much of a shock considering it also finished dead last in 2008. It now becomes the second least liked bonus track, only ahead of I Could Make a Living Out Of Loving You (Crush). What some people may not know is that Bitter Wine was originally a mid-tempo rock track with a lot more soul and an awesome guitar solo.
~

#13. All I Want Is Everything
[158 Points]

Not far behind the first bonus track is the second bonus track; All I Want Is Everything. The song received the most zero votes than any other song on These Days, although it only received two of them. The track finishes in the same place it did in 2008.

~

#12. Diamond Ring
[168 Points]

Just ten points ahead of 13th, is Diamond Ring. The song is the only song on These Days to not receive a double digit vote. Its highest score was an 8 while its average vote was a 4. Diamond Ring's score, along with the two bonus tracks, are a fair way away from the other tracks.

~

#11. If That's What It Takes
[225 Points]

If That's What it Takes comes in and takes 11th place. A lot of talk of the track was based around the song's bridge. While a lot of people mentioned that it wasn't their favourite song on the album, they gave credit to the bridge being one of the best/unique pieces of a song by the band. The song finishes one place lower than it did in 2008, with an average score of 6.

~

#10. Hearts Breaking Even
[261 Points]

Swapping places with If That's What It Takes from the 2008 rankings is Hearts Breaking Even which comes in at 10th. Some said the song is too positive for the rest of the album, some said its highly under rated, and others gave it the old comparison to Aerosmith's "Cryin". While the track received a lower average score than If That's What It Takes, overall, the song is liked a lot more with twelve people gave it a double digit score. It is the only song in the bottom half to received a top score of 14.

~

#9. Something For the Pain
[274 Points]

We now stumble across the first single of the round - Something for the Pain in at 9th. While fans welcomed it back to the setlist during last tour, the song finishes two places lower than what it did in 2008. With an average score of 7, Something for The Pain becomes the second least liked single pre-2000 (ahead of only I'll Sleep When Im Dead). Having said that, it sits in the middle of the group when including post 2000 singles.

~

#8. Lie To Me
[284 Points]

In at 8th is Lie To Me, which is the last song before the points take another big jump. While the songs close to Lie To Me have shuffled a fair bit, this track manages to keep the same position it did in 2008. The track actually received less high votes than both Something for the Pain and Hearts Bearking Even, but it scored better overall with an average score of 8.

~

#7. Damned
[329 Points]

Marking the start of the top half is Damned in 7th. The song's most received score a 6, which is lower than both Somethng for the Pain and Lie to Me. However, fifteen people gave it a score of 10 or higher, giving it the higher finish that it got. Damned does take a small hit though, finishing one place lower than it did in 2008.

~

#6. (It's Hard) Letting You Go
[367 Points]

In at #6 is the most improved song since 2008. Letting You Go moves up 3 places in 2012, finishing with an impressive average score of 10 (which is higher than song #5). Labelled as the most sad Jovi song by some people, Letting You Go was credited for having some of the best lyrics written by the band. Exactly 50% of people gave the song a score higher than 10, and it received nothing less than a 3 (the only song to do better was the song that finished #1).

~

#5. This Ain't A Love Song
[384 Points]

A rare gem to be played live these days is This Ain't a Love Song which comes in at 5th. The track is quite evenly spread with votes - a third of people gave it a score below 9, just over another 3rd of people gave it a score above 9, while the remaining 12 people people gave it an even score of 9. The song's most received song is therefor obviously a 9. The emotional ballad also finished 5th in the 2008 rankings.

~

#4. My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms
[388 Points]

It was a very close one in the end between My Guitar and Love Song - just 4 points between them. A few comments for this track was that the guitar carries extreme emotion, even more so than the lyric (which is a good thing especially considering the title). The song finished with a great average score of 14! It received the 2nd most top scores - coming second only to the #1 song and equal with #3 song. This track also finishes in the same place it did in 2008.

On to the top 3 where the gap between them and the rest of the album is nearly 60 points!

~

#3. Hey God
[447 Points]

Just missing out on a higher finish is Hey God, which takes out the bronze medal. Equal with My Guitar Lies Bleeding for 2nd most amount of top scores received, Hey God finishes with an average score of 12. Just over 50% of people rank Hey God in their top 3 on the album. The only negative Hey God fans may take from this ranking is that it has dropped a place since 2008 where it finished 2nd. It was a tight race though...

~

#2. Something To Believe In
[449 Points]

Only two points separate #3 and #2. Thankfully for Something to Believe In, it finished the better song this time round. While it received less top scores than the other 3 songs in the top 4, nearly 80% of people ranked it in their personal top 5 on the album. Along with Hey God, the song did spur some conversation in other threads about the content of the lyric and was potentially a reason why some people gave it a lower score. Most people however, did credit the song for its great lyrics.

~

1. These Days
[523 Points]

After Dry County and Livin on a Prayer finished second in their respective album rankings, there was some doubt as to whether These Days would in fact finish first. Obviously though, that wasnt the case. In fact it wasn't even close. These Days comes out on top with a massive 74 lead! If that weren't impressive enough, 90% of people ranked it in their top 5, with 50% of people ranking it #1. The song recieved nothing less than a 6, well deserving of top spot. These Days now sits in at 5th as the most stand out track on an album (with two albums still to rank).

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010
Sydney - December 17, 2010
Sydney - December 19, 2010 (I Believe!!!)

East Rutherford - July 25, 2013
Melbourne - December 7, 2013
Melbourne - December 8, 2013
Perth - December 12, 2013

Sydney - December 8, 2018
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Jovi Freak

FINAL TALLY

Thoughts!?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Posting everyday

Thank you again for your work! It must take a lot of time to figure out all those statistics, I couldn't do that tbh.

On a sidenote, as you linked the mid-tempo demo of Bitter Wine: I had always wondered why the lyrics in my CD booklet differed from the album version. Now, listening to this, I realized the different passages are from this demo version.
Which leads me to the though that they had the intention to put this one on the album and just swapped it in the last moment for the stripped-down acoustic performance.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Blaze of Posting

'Bitter Wine' is much better than people give it credit for. I love it.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Dry County

The song can be good but it's way too cheesy in my opinion for an album like These Days. Thanks for keeping track of the rankings Savvi!

I salute you,
TS