View Single Post

Old 03-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Posting Always

Default Undiscovered Soul Japanese Edition...

I think every song with the exception of "Who I Am" (since this was recorded 'live' on the first take) is different in some way to the international version. Here are some examples:

If God Was A Woman: Steven Tyler doesn't appear playing the harmonica.

Undiscovered Soul: There is a slightly different introduction to the song. There is more of a (and a better) guitar solo at the end of the song.

Made In America: Someone says 'everybody ready?' at the beginning of the song. There are also less/quieter guitars.

Hard Times Come Easy: The clapping and cheering at the end of the song lasts longer.

Fallen From Graceland: This lasts for 6 min 50 sec because of a 'conversation' between Richie and some other people at the end of the song.

You Are Not Alone: Richie talks after the song has finished and he briefly plays the guitar.

In It For Love: You can hear a few people, including Richie, speak after the song has finished.

All That Really Matters (There are two versions of this song included on the album): In the version most similar to the international version, the lyrics are slightly different at the beginning. The tone/melody is slightly different at some points throughout the song. And after the song has finished, there is an amazing acoustic guitar solo by Richie, followed by some people talking.

Harlem Rain: After this song has finished, there is a jam session by Richie and his band which leads nicely into Who I Am. At the the end of it you hear Richie say "OK, we're greased up", and Who I Am starts. It is amazing.

The tracks also appear in a different order to the international version.

Does anyone know the reason for all of these differences? I understand the album was released here maybe three months before the rest of the world (not sure though cos I cant be arsed to look it up). Maybe the record company thought it was under-produced and needed a bit more added to it?

I like this version a lot more, and if you buy the Undiscovered Soul Tour Edition with live bonus disc I believe it is one of the best BJ related CD's you could wish for.