Thread: Vocal coach
View Single Post

Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
In my mind, a vocal coach should advise a singer on how to use his voice not to "overuse it" and give specific tips on how to maintain it for as long as possible. Has Jon really "overused" his voice more than Bono, Bryan Adams, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltrey and many others? I don't know, but my guess is no. Many voices has declined over decades of singing (which is OK), but Jon fell of a cliff over the course of MONTHS!

My theory (and nobody has disputed it yet) is that he either ignored it and/or got comfortable with his 'renaissance' in 2008 and stopped using the coach until it started going to shit mid-tour in 2013. I think the way he used his voice in this 5 year period contributed greatly and that was because Jon may not have had a vocal coach by his side. Either way, it's only his stupidity to blame.

Either way, I wouldn't advertise myself as a vocal coach by boasting Jon as my student
Yes ... Aerosmith has always played 15-18 songs sets, and U2 songs are not as demanding as Jovi’s ... and Jon has toured more than these guys playing 2.5 to 3 hours sets on a average basis ... and what’s worse: Jon had a great voice, but not a very good technique. Combine this with the overuse, it’s suicide.