Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Was Always already written in 1991?

General BJ Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-19-2018, 12:18 AM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is offline
Senior Member
It's my post
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 4,656
Default Was Always already written in 1991?

Maybe this is common knowledge and I just missed the boat, but I had always assumed this song to maybe had been written somewhere in 1993 and pulled from the movie / shifted onto Cross Road in 1994.

Today I was reading the book "Bon Jovi - In Their Own Words" which basically covers different topics from 1984 to 1996 by assembling quotes from all band members. And I stumbled across this one:

Quote:
We've sorted all of our differences by now. Straightened all that shit out. In the end, Jon and I went on holiday together and just started writing. That's when we came up with 'Always'. I never thought we would actually break up [...]
Richie, November 1994
He's pretty certainly talking about the fall of 1991 when they went vacationing on St. Thomas to work it all out or at least that time frame.

Then I found this quote:
Quote:
'Always' was written by Jon for a film called Romeo's Bleeding, and that's the first line of the song. We recorded it in England during the 'Keep The Faith' tour, but then Jon looked at the movie, didn't like it and so pulled the song. But Jon (he actually may have referred to John Kalodner here) still liked the song so we went down to Nashville and re-recorded it for the album Cross Road.
Richie, June 1995
It is known that it was John Kalodner who found the shelved recording of Always and convinced the band to go back to that since they had to come up with something for the unplanned Greatest Hits album.

So some of these things make me question:
- Was Always written before the collaboration on songs for Keep The Faith actually began? With the movie having been released in 1993, the script might've been sent to Jon in 1991 since he was a sure-fire address in terms of movie songs after Blaze of Glory had hit the previous year.

- The interview doesn't clear up whether the band recorded it in May or September 1993 (by Jon's vocals I'd say the first), BUT the final version is from 1994 and the Box Set demo doesn't sound like the band's playing on it (and has female backings). So there must be another "mid-stage" version of this song in the vaults we've never heard?
To this day, I had assumed that Jon had recorded it with random musicians as sort of a side project for the movie, but actually the band must've done the final movie version.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 12-19-2018, 01:09 AM
Jovi98's Avatar
Jovi98 Jovi98 is offline
Member
Breakout
 
Join Date: 04 Nov 2018
Gender: male
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Maybe this is common knowledge and I just missed the boat, but I had always assumed this song to maybe had been written somewhere in 1993 and pulled from the movie / shifted onto Cross Road in 1994.

Today I was reading the book "Bon Jovi - In Their Own Words" which basically covers different topics from 1984 to 1996 by assembling quotes from all band members. And I stumbled across this one:



He's pretty certainly talking about the fall of 1991 when they went vacationing on St. Thomas to work it all out or at least that time frame.

Then I found this quote:


It is known that it was John Kalodner who found the shelved recording of Always and convinced the band to go back to that since they had to come up with something for the unplanned Greatest Hits album.

So some of these things make me question:
- Was Always written before the collaboration on songs for Keep The Faith actually began? With the movie having been released in 1993, the script might've been sent to Jon in 1991 since he was a sure-fire address in terms of movie songs after Blaze of Glory had hit the previous year.

- The interview doesn't clear up whether the band recorded it in May or September 1993 (by Jon's vocals I'd say the first), BUT the final version is from 1994 and the Box Set demo doesn't sound like the band's playing on it (and has female backings). So there must be another "mid-stage" version of this song in the vaults we've never heard?
To this day, I had assumed that Jon had recorded it with random musicians as sort of a side project for the movie, but actually the band must've done the final movie version.
Always "Demo" maybe it was written in 1991 and recorded in 1993.... I think
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2018, 05:01 AM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Geek
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 7,050
Default

Interesting! Although I never thought about the year it was written, I always (no pun) wondered if the song was reworked to just fit the movie.

I mean, aside from the first line, the song has NOTHING to with the movie so I definitely don't think it was written from a script like the Blaze songs were.

As great as the song is, that opening line seems a little forced and out of place but because it was for the movie Romeo Is Bleeding, I just accept it for that. "This Romeo Is Bleeding, but you can't see his blood" IMO is the weakest part of the song and doesn't really fit the next part which is Jon singing about himself.

Just like BOR, it's like another Jon confession. "Sitting here wasted and wounded" "Now I can't sing a love song, like the way it's meant to be. Well, I guess I'm not that good anymore but baby, that's just me"

Is Romeo Is Bleeding about a rock star who can't deliver a song anymore?

Strictly going off my memory but around 1993 ish, I remember sitting in my car getting ready to leave work and listening to Jon being interviewed. He said that he's got a bunch of movie songs in the works and was specific to one being in a new Tom Cruise film (of which I never figured out to this day). I do remember being disappointed that none of those songs came out because I was waiting for them.

Looking back, we got:

-Good Guys from The Cowboy Way
-Always from Romeo Is Bleeding
-Gotta Have A Reason from The Three Musketeers
-The Tom Cruise Movie (Maybe The Firm or Interview With A Vampire)
-and maybe a few others?
__________________
World’s Most Professional Bon Jovi Fan!!!

Last edited by Rdkopper; 12-19-2018 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2018, 09:50 AM
steel_horse75's Avatar
steel_horse75 steel_horse75 is offline
Senior Member
Destination any Forum
 
Join Date: 29 May 2007
Location: Klopp Army
Age: 44
Gender: male
Posts: 4,155
Default

Wasn’t it wrote for a film called Romeo is Bleeding but it was so bad Jon pulled the song from it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-19-2018, 03:27 PM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is offline
Senior Member
It's my post
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 4,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Interesting! Although I never thought about the year it was written, I always (no pun) wondered if the song was reworked to just fit the movie.
That's what I'm thinking too. Of course Jon wouldn't go publicly and say that he just rehashed an old song when he was asked by producers to write one for the movie. But that first line in Always has struck me by feeling out of place since the beginning. After these quotes, I think that Always really might've been some sort of left-over/unfinished idea from the KTF sessions that may simply not have been fitting / not deemed good enough for the record.
So Jon pulled it out, altered the first line to fit the movie and then said it was written for it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Midnight on JoviTalk
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 34
Gender: male
Posts: 10,494
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

There's a video interview with I think either David or Richie (or both) talking about how the demo was recorded in a hotel room while on tour. I'd assume that would be the KTF tour, '91 wouldn't make as much sense if that was the case, and it would put it right around '93 which fits.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2018, 04:40 PM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is offline
Senior Member
It's my post
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 4,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
There's a video interview with I think either David or Richie (or both) talking about how the demo was recorded in a hotel room while on tour. I'd assume that would be the KTF tour, '91 wouldn't make as much sense if that was the case, and it would put it right around '93 which fits.
I agree that the demo they're talking about was done on the KTF tour in the UK (as in Richie's second quote above), but I find it interesting that the original sketch for the song seems to date much further back.
And since the demo on the Box Set doesn't sound like the band in my book (and I guess was done by Jon with some random musicians beforehand) and the one for Cross Road was rerecorded in Nashville, that hotel room demo with the band is something that we haven't heard at all I think.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Midnight on JoviTalk
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 34
Gender: male
Posts: 10,494
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I agree that the demo they're talking about was done on the KTF tour in the UK (as in Richie's second quote above), but I find it interesting that the original sketch for the song seems to date much further back.
And since the demo on the Box Set doesn't sound like the band in my book (and I guess was done by Jon with some random musicians beforehand) and the one for Cross Road was rerecorded in Nashville, that hotel room demo with the band is something that we haven't heard at all I think.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
That solo sounds pretty Richie to me in note choice. Pino Palladino is credited as playing bass on the box set version so if there was other musicians on that track I'd assume they'd be credited too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-20-2018, 10:48 AM
jazzsta jazzsta is offline
Senior Member
Hardest Part is the Night
 
Join Date: 01 Jun 2016
Gender: male
Posts: 245
Default

I agree that the band in the box set demo sounds strange. At some backing vocals I could imagine that it is Richie however. The acoustic solo is a strange choice there, and it does not sound VERY richie to me, cause richie usually has some fast playing when soloing acoustically and here it is super slow. But it could be Richie. JBJ's voice sounds even pre-KTF at some points, meaning I could even accept 1991 as the recording year for this demo. I don't know what's happening, it's strange. Could there have been also some extra instruments/layers recorded for the box set by Obie ?? I don't think so but it is a possibility also.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:59 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Midnight on JoviTalk
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 34
Gender: male
Posts: 10,494
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzsta View Post
I agree that the band in the box set demo sounds strange. At some backing vocals I could imagine that it is Richie however. The acoustic solo is a strange choice there, and it does not sound VERY richie to me, cause richie usually has some fast playing when soloing acoustically and here it is super slow. But it could be Richie. JBJ's voice sounds even pre-KTF at some points, meaning I could even accept 1991 as the recording year for this demo. I don't know what's happening, it's strange. Could there have been also some extra instruments/layers recorded for the box set by Obie ?? I don't think so but it is a possibility also.
It's Richie on backing vocals so I assume it's him on guitar. Everything SOUNDS pretty mid-90's, I don't think anything was added.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.